MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just an idea i was thinkin of gettin some 6 x 9's for me parcel shelf?? the stock boost system ive got in the in the mo it pritty mint, just wondered if a few more spekers would add to the quality of sound?? has any1 dunt it in their baby???

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
you could fit 6x9s in the parcel shelf? that shelf thing by the driverside knee bolster?

hmm~ i doubt it'll fit in there... maybe if you hack and slash some plastic.

as for the quality?
well im not too sure about the boost system, but you'll need to get an amp and all that good stuff. I know that for the HK systems, you'll need to take out all the HK stuff before you can do anything positive to upgrade your sound.

but if you were to do that, id recommend doing the whole thing!
new deck, amps and speakers. of course if you want a subwooder too, you'll need to add another amp and sacrifice your trunk space.

it WILL however sound good. but do your homework.
if its too cheap more than likely you wont be happy with it. ive gone through many systems in my old cars. :)

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
Adding more speakers to what you have won't improve the quality. It *may* sound louder but as you will have more sound coming from different directions it will actually degrade the quality.

To improve the quality you would be better changing the head unit and front speakers first. If you want to keep the boost head unit then just upgrade the front speakers to begin with.

You are sat in the front of your MINI, so concentrate on improving the sound infront of you, not behind you.
How much were you thinking of spending, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to sure reali, just bought a sony cdxm800 head unit for 150 quid of e-bay which im well chuffed with. Was thinkin bout stayin on the sony them n fittin thw whole car owt wif x-plode gear, coz i like to keep all systems the same rather than mix n match. if i was to do the whole system, sub, amp, 2x 6x9's, 2 front door, and 2 tweeters. deffo no more than 500 quid coz thats wot the system in there at the mo cost, n thats just a big rip off.

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
I'm not up to date with Sony equipment, so can't help you much there, sorry.

However, have a look at this forum www.talkaudio.co.uk

They have a section for selling equipment (the TA exchange). Some of it is very high spec, but some bargains can be found among them. Don't discount using older high spec gear. Whilst they have a restriction for posting within the section (you have to be registered for 30 days and have a certain number of posts) if you PM the member selling, you can do a deal that way.

I can fully understand you wanting to keep it all same branded, but don't restrict yourself.
If you want any advice on older gear, I'll be happy to help out :)

ps, the talkaudio forum don't rate sony for some reason, I don't know why as I haven't been a member there for long. If you post on there at all I wouldn't mention your head unit being sony, save you getting some stick off them ;)

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
unles your geting the hex subs (which look a bit taky) as a general rule the x-plod suff its crap. sorry. jus my opinion

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got the sony mx8800 (or whatever) head unit and it is a good bit of kit. I was considering adding a sub so my otherwise std set. would you consider going that way or just improving the front speakers for better sound/bass quality.

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
iancoates said:
I've got the sony mx8800 (or whatever) head unit and it is a good bit of kit. I was considering adding a sub so my otherwise std set. would you consider going that way or just improving the front speakers for better sound/bass quality.
I would change the front speakers first to 16/16.5cm components.
Obviously it depends on what you buy as to how good they sound, but they will give you a satisfying increase in midbass :D

I called at SQ Plus in Manchester last year and had a listen to a car there, standard merc head unit and a pair of Diamond components (I admit they were top of the range), nothing else was changed. I was amazed that there was no sub in the car. The sound was cyrstal clear with a nice tight punchy bass line........heaven :D

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
Basically it depends on your budget and if you want to spend time fitting an amp and the extra wiring needed. Would the amp be in your way if fitted in the boot?

Regarding budget, you could buy cheap speakers, a cheap amp and finish up disappointed with the sound, or you could spend almost the same amount on better quality speakers only and be impressed with the sound.
Personally I would get the better quality speakers first. Then if you want a bit more, invest in a 3 or 4 channel amp so you can add a sub later if desired.

A slight bit of forward planning can save you money long term when buying amps. If you only buy a 2 channel amp for the front and then want to add a sub, you then need either an additional amp or to sell your old one and then buy a new one which suits your new requirements.

·
Registered
133 Posts
radio/cd/etc is STEREO, which is TWO channels

so u want only 2 speakers playing each frequency range...so u have tweets in the front for hights, mids in front for mids...u just need subs in rear for lows...u don't want any full-range, normal speakers in teh rear..if u don't want subs, then put 6x9s in the rear and put a xover on them so they only play <80hz or 100hz..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.