MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what speed do you guys (and gals) usually shift to 6th gear for preserving fuel economy? Also, when do you use it for driving fast. Just wondering what speeds are useful to know when driving it. (gets shippeed from england tomorrow!!!

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
I use 6th the same as any other gear..providing your revs are right use it. You can cruise in 6th anything from about 80kph upwards. All depends on your driving style..if for fuel economy use 6th as above..if for flying around you probably want to change into 6th at about 180kph -200 kph depending how your car is set up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
80kms/hr? I drive around town (Darwin this is) at 60, in 6th and with the cruise control on. This is a true fuel saver, although you do have to be quick on the down shift if you reuqire any power at all.

As for the top end speeds, I'd agree. Fifth gear in mine will only see 220, while sixth will generally see 225. This of course depends on weather conditions (and an open speed limit of course).

Dutchy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Generally when I'm commuting and am not in to much of a hurry i use 6th when going over 50mph. The car will be about as responsive as a bath, but the economy is much better. On the same token I also use 5th when between 40-50mph when taking a leisurely drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts