MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after somebody posted on General chat a few weeks ago about how he got 400 miles to the tank in his Cooper S (capacity 50L) I decided to challenge myself and get the maximum amount of miles per full tank with BP Ultimate in my Cooper D.

My driving style hasn't changed dramatically really, just going slower on the motorway at about 70-75mph. Had about 30 miles left after work today and thought i'd just about make the 29 mile trip home (which I did) with 4 miles left!! Was starting to panic towards the end and probably not very good for the engine :aargh: Got just over 450 miles in the end which I didn't think was too bad..

However after refuelling it says i've got 507 miles. Will let you all know if I beat it ;)

Attachments

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
By driving without any hard acceleration (which was very difficult) I got 322.5 miles with 49 miles left on the trip computer out of my GP.

That was with a return trip to Liverpool, a load of 'about town' driving, and a trip through Snowdonia National Park.

Back to normal now though :D

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Modern petrol pumps have fuel filters as does your car. Few people who run out of fuel on modern cars need to replace clogged up fuel filters. Modern tanks are plastic and not like the old metal ones that used to rust. You'll find that if you open up a tank form a car thats 4 or 5 years old it'll be 'muck' free.

Its not like the old days ya know!! :biggrin::biggrin:

PS
I don't have the nerve to run a tank that low!! :wink::tongue:

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
i'm a bit surprised it only did 450 miles... that's 51mpg? in a dooper? mine had better be a bit better than that otherwise the whole rationale for buying it is out the window totally!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
That Cooper S in question was actually a JCW Cooper S R53 that belongs to MINI Poser (Arron). I have actually witnessed his motorway driving and he is indeed boring! But he is PC Plod now. Keep up the good work everyone. I should be doing this myself!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
LOL - Chicken :p You can take it lower than that :D

I pulled off my driveway one morning reading 9 miles range - with my 4 mile drive to work I figured I could drive to work, then go fill up at lunch.

Just over a mile into my journey the range was down to 4 miles, then 2, then 1, then 0 :eek:

I diverted to the petrol station and arrived there with the computer reading - - miles range :eek:

:D :D :D :D

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
I agree with Aldo, to let it run as low on purpose is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.........your doing your engine no favours and a pointless exercise.

fill the car up.............do 100mls..................fill up again................then work out your mpg over the 100mls.

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
I've managed around 400 out of my S on long motorway journeys :D I've found out the range on the my R56 goes ---- where the R53 only had --- :eek: :D

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
It's the contaminents in the petrol that I was thinking, it will build up tank after tank etc, then running it low will pull it through the engine...

Each to their own I guess :p

·
any day now....
141 Posts
Petrol Light roulette! Im a big fan of this game. :D

Does anyone remember Clarkson took an Audi from Scotland (?) to Central London, for the last 20 miles the range was 0! I think these sensors are probably under estimating how little is in the tank, to give people a chance to get to the filling station. Human nature to put off going, I guess.

Brian.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
I ran out of fuel once :) lol

Was late for work and forgot i needed to get fuel, thought id make it....ran out on a roundabout 100yards from where i work! grrrr

·
Registered
46 Posts
I normally refuel when there is at least 50 mile of range. However, last week, I lent my wife the MINI with about 49 miles range and then had to drive into work late at night: a 30 mile journey, starting with 35 miles range past shut fuel stations! Just about made it to the all night fuel station by work with zero miles range. Managed to put 37 litres into the tank - implies there was 3 litres left which should be enough for 30+ miles. Needless to say, never again - far too stressful.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does anyone remember Clarkson took an Audi from Scotland (?) to Central London, for the last 20 miles the range was 0! I think these sensors are probably under estimating how little is in the tank, to give people a chance to get to the filling station. Human nature to put off going, I guess.

Brian.
I remember seeing that one - didn't he say if you ran a diesel out of fuel you have to get it flushed or something? Technical minded I'm not!:p

I wouldn't have there to run my fuel as low as some of you have done - I barely let the car 'ping' at two notches!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts