MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
What an idiot for driving like a maniac on the streets - no wonder he/she flipped the car!

·
Mini2 Fan
272 Posts
onely_ck said:
Pretty Sure that is in Hong Kong. Tight roads. Lousy Tarmac, Crazy drivers. Would you be surprised.
Totally disagree with u. Have u ever been in HK? There're lots of nice roads and highways. The location that that accident happened is in the old region ie in Tai Hang at Causeway Bay Road, but the road isn't tight there. In accordance with the pic displayed, there is a traffic light and the lane is for right turn, the drivers have to stop first and wait for the opposite lane's vehicles going first, maybe this driver, who is a 28-year-old lady with drinking a little wine b4(newspaper reported), turned right w/o stopping first and eventully caused that accident when she found out the opposite lane's vehicles were coming and had to avoid crashing. Luckily, she got lightly injuried.

Cheers,
Herman

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just realized that the accident happened on the main road to where I live. Acutally on Tung Lo Wan Rd. Yeah that is a pretty tight spot as it's 2 lanes and the medium kind of shifts

My guess was that the driver was driving too fast and someone was coming out of side streets.

But still It's extremely dangerous and stupid to drive that fast.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am surprised there is no roof deformation after a flip......one more kudo to the MINI. Just don't drive THAT fast on public road.....save it for the track :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm just wondering about the photo:
How can you tell that she was travelling too fast? You can still flip a car at 60km/hr if you hit the wrong things. As happened here in Darwin when a 'P' plater lost control of her car while swiping at a fly.
and secondly, how do you know she was a crazy driver?
Yes the paper reported that she made a mistake, but that doesn't automatically make her a crazy driver.

Herman, did the paper say if she was over the legal limit at all and if speed was a contributing factor? It would be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good point.

She might not have been the crazy driver. But what's to say the other road users aren't?
I agree with KPLO on the structure side of things. ;)
I feel so much safer in my wee car knowing the fact I won't be crushed to death if the same situation happened to me.
Does anyone know if the new Cabrio has the same sort of protection?
I have been in HK and love the place :D ,but I think I would forego driving around there. I get really confused :confused: :(
Anyone drive in Bangkok with a MINI before?

·
Registered
513 Posts
[I have been in HK and love the place :D ,but I think I would forego driving around there. I get really confused :confused: :(
Anyone drive in Bangkok with a MINI before?[/QUOTE]

HK's not that bad once you understand how the layout is. Majority of the drivers do know how to drive. Unlike other places I have lived or been too.

If you been to China - City of Guangzhou during a trade fair season - That is horrendous.
Probably the only city i've been so far that I would be actually afraid to drive :(

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes, this is Tung Lo Wan Road and it is a tight corner and there may be some car coming out from Wun Sha street that makes it happen. But the car looks pretty solid after the flip. Another good proof to buy Mini ;)
YCLee

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,467 Posts
At the risk of being killed

Woman Driver :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Only joking :D

·
Mini2 Fan
272 Posts
Herman, did the paper say if she was over the legal limit at all and if speed was a contributing factor? It would be interesting to find out.

No reported but I think so. The speed limit for this kind of road in HK is only 50 km ph, so what do u think of???

Btw, I forgot to point out my comment b4: coz she is a lady driver :( .

Herman

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
18 Participants
dinlo
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing