MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I read through the posts on MINI2 and other sites, plus auto reviews, I keep wondering just how bad the rear visibility is in the convertible. It seems that in my tin top, I can position the door mirrors to cover the lanes on either side of the car including most of the blind spot areas. Those of you who've driven the car for a while, have you found yourself in any close calls due to the car's lines of sight?

The other question I can't seem to find an answer to is how rigid is the convertible body? I know that the hard top is an impressive 24,500 Nm / deg. In one review I saw they put the convertible at 9,000 Nm. That seems on the low side considering the stiffeners put in and the relatively short, stubby chasis. (By comparison the BMW E46 platform convertible is 10,500 Nm and the Saab is 11,500.) How noticeable is the body twist on normal driving surfaces? Does anybody have solid (no pun intended) #'s on the convertible's frame rigidity?

It doesn't matter what people say -- I'm not cancelling my order, but "inquiring minds want to know". :) :eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
First of all - sorry if my English is not perfect, I hope you understand me anyway. Well, I have my convertible for a week now and I thought that the rear view would be worse. In fact it is much better than expected. The mirrors are quite large and the view through the rear window is sufficient, so don't worry. Concerning the rigidity I can say that I am very satisfied with it. You can feel of course a difference to the tin top, but the body is very stable for a convertible. My girlfriend's father is driving a MG-F which is twisting so much on bad roads that you can see nothing in the shaking rear mirrors. The Mini is far better than that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Facts and figures only give you a small part of the picture - drive one and then make your mind up. I don't consider the scuttle shake to be noticable - I live in an area with lots of twisty country rounds with potholes and the Mini takes it all in it's stride. As for the rear visibility, I don't find it a problem as I'm used to riding a motorbike - the roof just feels like a massive crash helmet!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I had driven the MCSC briefly when I put in my order. I was having too much fun to pay attention to visibility and cowl shake. Glad to hear you both find that vis. is good -- I'd seen some people saying that they couldn't see anything w/ the top up so I just wanted to get more feedback.

On the body rigidity, knowing the numbers is more out of curiosity. As an engineer I like to have quantitative data to support my subjective opinions. :)

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
The rearward visibilty is pretty poor, roof up or down, especially if reverse/parralel parking or in manic rush our traffic, that's in comparison to the hatchback MINI (and that's why they've been good enough to give PDC as standard!). The car does shake about a little bit (I'm sure I've got the numbers somewhere, just cant find them), but it feels very solid and sturdy. Strangely enough you can see the "wobble" more than you feel it when driving as the car is so stiff overall. If you look in the rear view mirror when on a poor country lane (for example), it can almost seem as if the rear seats/rear part of the car are moving in the complete opposite direction to you, but it feels very solid and "planted" indeed, and handles exceptionally well!

You'll love it I'm sure.

·
its all good
13 Posts
ain't so bad

this my 3rd mini, went from 04 'S' to MOC, you will feel the difference right away, but after 5 weeks, you don't know the difference, a must is small mirrors on your ourside mirrors to help the blind spot, actually sort of medium size on right size (night and/or raining, you just sort of have to guess)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Rock solid

I think my car is unbelievably stable. Gone over rough railroad tracks about 60 miles and hour, and it feels solid. People who have been in my car are amazing at how stable it is.

In regards to visibility, it's honestly terrible. The PDC is a must. Read an interesting article today that was posted on motoringfile.com that helps in setting your review mirrors to minimize blind spots.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/index.html

But in no way, do I feel "unsafe" driving this car because of the blind spot.

It's an amazing car...you have to really drive it, rather than rely on numbers in think. :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello.

i thought the reverse parking would be a problem at first but i think it is actually made easier. i have got used to using my side mirrors more and the sensors are fab so i am finding i am better at parking than i was before. as for the blind spot, i am just extra careful and make sure i am more aware of the traffic around me, especially what's coming up behind me before i change lanes so it's not been a problem at all.
the only thing i have found a bit dodgy is when i reverse out of a parking bay, visbility is quite poor then, and people are always reluctant to stop and let you out rather than flying past you.

·
CR/W MC and HO/B MCC
41 Posts
Parking

Reversing out of a parking place is a real problem for me. There are so many enormous SUVs in this country (why people need them I have no clue), when you end up between two it is a problem backing out. The blind spots on the sides prevent you from seeing if someone is coming at you as you back out. I now back into parking spaces to avoid this problem. Now my cute little MCC can see whats going on while I not with her. I have yet to try parallel parking.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, I nearly had a nasty accident reversing out of my drive the other day, due to a carelessly parked Spacewagon on the pavement outside my house. Didn't see a speeding van approaching and nearly got whacked. Mind you, I've only got myself to blame, as I'd just parked the Spacewagon on the road in order to get my car out of the garage ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.