MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at this device on www.ecotekplc.co.uk
for a few days now, and I'm getting very tempted!
The darn thing only costs £50.
Anyone who works for BMW can you tell whether or not this thing will void the warranty of the car?

This is a sniipet from the site about the product!
Guys give me your opinion :)

There are three main benefits for the motorist from fitting a CB-26P:

Performance

Petrol Consumption

Emissions

PERFORMANCE

Because the effect of the CB-26P is to create a better suspension of fuel molecules in the mixture you get an improvement in the combustion process. In other words you get a better bang - or more bang for your petrol. This makes acceleration smoother and more rapid and has cured flat spots in the rev ranges of numerous sports cars.

The Ecotek CB-26P is used by tuners of performance engines and on a number of competitive touring and sports cars because it incorporates the same 'swirl' technology now commonly used in high performance racing engines (see 'Technical' page).

Turbulence in the inlet manifold (as produced by the CB-26P) is also known to reduce fluctuations in operating efficiency and flat spots caused by petrol vaporisation at high temperatures as well as the effects of performance tuning through high lift cams and competition exhaust systems.

On almost all non performance cars the first experience you will get from the CB-26P is considerably improved throttle response. Improved engine pick up is the first symptom of better more efficient combustion.

PETROL CONSUMPTION

If you do not use all the benefits of this improved combustion in tearing around at twice your normal speed you will notice a significant improvement in petrol consumption - especially at motorway speeds.

Independent figures and 'real world' tests show that, on anything other than the very newest vehicles, improvements in petrol consumption of 15% are commonplace.

At speeds of 80 mph engineers Evans Halshaw actually recorded fuel savings of 29.7%. For more details see the Test Results page.

We have devoted an entire page to the Car Mechanics guide to saving petrol so if you want some general hints click here.

EMISSIONS

Because you get a better bang you also get a cleaner bang. Because the fuel molecules are more evenly suspended, more of them are burnt properly so you get less hydrocarbon (a pollutant that is effectively unburned petrol) and because less petrol is burned you get less carbon monoxide. Please refer to the Test Results page where the Warren Spring Laboratory results detail the emission reductions in some depth.

Another benefit of less pollution is less exhaust and engine corrosion, particularly carbon buildup (through hydrocarbons and soot); so your engine and spark plugs should run at peak efficiency for longer and your exhaust system (and your catalytic converter if you have one) will last much longer.

So it pays to go green!

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry i think its all a load. although i'm sure some people will fall for the big words and technical terms. its a load, it does nothing, we discussed it in my automotive quality class and its basically a ploy of big technical terms to fool people into buying it.i cant believe people would do that:eek: not!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Sounds like something we had here called the "Tornado", a metal device that went in the air intake to make the air swirl. I put one in my 5.2l Jeep, didn't notice a thing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Snake Oil

I'm afraid this is one of dozens of such devices that come on to the market every year. If one actually worked, you would have heard about it by now.

The industry spends Billions of Dollars/Euros/Pounds trying to improve engine fuel economy and emissions and they have thousands of boffins all trying every conceivable widget, system etc.

These folks are simply peddling the 2002 equivalent of "Snake Oil" - sounds plausible to the non scientific / un-trained. The low (ish) price means you are less likely to sue them 'cos its too much hassle.

:mad:

Steer well clear!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This sounds like another product (that I was gullable and bought) called the TURBOZET. Before I bought it I put the car on a rolling road. Did the same again with the TURBOZET - no extra power (in fact it was 1-2 bhp down at the wheels). Manufacturer claimed that a rolling road was not indicative of a real test.

If you do by a product like this test it out. At least this product is only £50 - the TURBOZET was £350!

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys thanks for replying to this thread.

I can say that its not a dodgy piece of kit, Pipercross sponsor theses guys!, my friend has one installed in his Fiesta Si (96 reg), and it my friend says that it has doesn wonders to the way the car works, and his fuel consumption and emissions have gone down.

Have you guys read the reviews section?
Reputable magazines give the device a very good testing and found the cars fitted with it became better in the 3 terms mentioned above.

Fuel consumption may not be affected as the Mini is a new car, with a sophisticated setup for fueling.

Guys check out the review sections...plus the 30day money back guarantee...can't go wrong if it is a dudd device

Once again thanks for you contributions

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Garfield said:
Sounds like something we had here called the "Tornado", a metal device that went in the air intake to make the air swirl. I put one in my 5.2l Jeep, didn't notice a thing.
Hi dude, this device has nothing to do with the air intake system, connects between the brake servo and something else, not sure :)

I'm not having a go with you, just teeling ya what it is

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
Ibb said:

Guys check out the review sections...plus the 30day money back guarantee...can't go wrong if it is a dudd device

Once again thanks for you contributions
IMHO: Wow! What a whiff! Open the windows!

I could sell you a pile of manure with a 1 year money back guarantee, but if i'm not around or attach conditions to the refund then you're stuffed.

This product and it's variants has been peddled many times over the years.

Rule #1: Never believe the salesman or the brochure
Rule #2: If it's too good to be true then it probably is
Rule #3: A fool and his/her money is easily parted
Rule #4: You never get somefink 4 nuffink

And why use "plc" in the web address? A common ploy in the computer industry to make companies seem bigger than they really are, more financially secure than they really are and more reputable. Is Marks and Spencers main web address www.marksandspencerplc.co.uk?

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 easy way to but this straight

Someone with a spare £50 quid buy it and test it!!

I would do it myself but i'm very close to buying myself an exhaust ..£260 so i'm a little short.

ps .. See thread. - Magnex exhaust

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
It does sound impressive, but I myself am a bit sceptical.

So there you have it. The Ecotek CB26P is a simple little device that you doubt at first can ever work. However, our preliminary findings indicate that it does indeed improve emissions. It looks as though it may have also improved fuel consumption, although these results are by no means conclusive.
Car Mechanics

I think that says it all.

LMB :D

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
daxler said:
1 easy way to but this straight

Someone with a spare £50 quid buy it and test it!!

ps .. See thread. - Magnex exhaust
Daxler that is a great idea, if someone does try it out, and if it don't work they can get their money....its a kinda no win no fee thing hehehe

Cheers guys

PS, you ppl with alot of money get out there and get one of these...test it and tell us if it is worth it or not?

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was talking to Dom(MINI2 member)

He said seeing that BMW has a F1 history the MINI may already have something like this installed anyway.....but then again he wasn't too sure, alot of his m8s have Saxos, and he said the engines are similar to the ones in the MINI, he's gonna see if any of his mates are up for fitting one of these things to the cars.

So we may get a result soon guys

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
"Reputable magazines give the device a very good testing"

- which ones? (name's, dates, issues, URL's if applicable) I'll like to read the reviews.;)

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
That reminds me, I must ask the Saxo boys! I'm sure one of them would have done it...

The mags were Revs and Max Power I think, only they were tested on old cars. I just can't really see it working on modern cars, maybe it's a tad too good to be true?

The way I see it, if it made the engine more efficient and using less fuel, BMW would have done it. If there was something that gave the car more power and use less petrol, I can't see why it would have been missed off!

Will wait and see...

Dom

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
An opinion

Just been on the saxo site... their VTS's push out 130 bhp so can't be too much different from our engines... anyway:
Ecotek - just say NO!
Don't get one!
I had an Ecotek on my VTS, when it was first fitted i was doing my best to convince myself that it was making the throttle more responsive....but it was bollox..makes a weird little rasping noise to convince you its letting air into the pipe...but can much better spend the cash elsewhere!
Hope that helps

Dom

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers Dom....what we really need tho is someone to try it out for us on their MINI, if it dunt work they can get their money back.

Its the only way to do it really, I would do it myself, but I'm slight rapped for cash

·
Registered
113 Posts
Aint no way its gonna give more power - are we even entertaining the idea?

IF it gives a mpg improvement it MIGHT pay for itself after about 10,000 miles. And MIGHT save you a few hundered pounds over the life of the car.

BMW/MINI wouldn't like it - if anything goes wrong with the car they have a nice excuse to blame it on.

It could well CAUSE problems with the car - MINI wasnt designed for it.

Is there any point? - even if it gave a MPG improvement.

If fuel is such a concern just buy a diesel or put your own personal redline at 3000 revs.

Dave

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apparently this thing help to even out flat spots in the torque range, anyways just hope someone tries it out.

Gotta be tested to say if it works or not, its the only way.

But then again the mini might have this type of thing intergrated into the whole system as it is anyways, seeing as BMW has got a racing history.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts