MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
hi, ive agreed to do an install in a mates MC, ive searched about a few bits but there are still a few q i need to ask!!

1 - do you need to do any drilling (to the door or the wire block) to feed new cable into doors?

2 - has anyone installed genesis 6*9 (or similar) subs into the rear 1/4 pannels? (i ask as i know that they can be really quite impressive and i a also understand that they were designed with the new minis in mind)

3 - how can i tell if his car has the upgraded speaker package? (as i belive i will need a different wiring adaptor)

is there anything else i should know?!?!

Cheers
Rorrie

·
230whp an counting
3,056 Posts
I managed to feed speaker cables through the rubber gromits, took a bit of time but is possible, ive heard the 6x9 subs they sound ok but arent in the same leauge as a proper sub in a boxed enclosure. Only real way to tell if hes got the upgrades speakers is to take the headunit out, round pin connectors standard speakers, flat pin connectors is the upgraded ones, hope that helps mate :)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Nearly everyone uses the existing wires into the door to feed the crossover of the
new speakers. Whatever aftermarket speakers you chose you will need an adapter
to get them to fit so you may as well get 16.5cm speakers as they are no more
difficult to fit than 13cm speakers. You won't need to change the grill as it doesn't
fit onto the speakers it's only attached to the door trim. I tried Genesis 6x9's as
subs, I was disappointed. They don't go much lower than a good pair of 16.5's. If
you want true bass you'll need a box. If you don't want to use up boot space for a
box then the Genesis 6x9's are better than nothing. If you can put as much money
into the fronts as you can afford and get a separate amp from something like the
Genesis Profile range. All advice is easier if we know your friends budget of course.
Finally if your friend has the HK option he has the better speakers. If he doesn't
have this option then Loui is correct with advice on checking the pins but I think it
is only the headunits which are upgraded, I'm fairly sure the speakers are always
the same for any non-HK option. Oh and if your friend has the HK option don't do
anything until you understand how the HK works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interms of the gear and the installation and all the ideas, im fine with, ive done a fair few boot builds,

- here is mine

but all the amp section has arc amps in there now and all the wiring is tided up

its just anything that i may find in the mini a struggle ( eg drilling bulk head for 12v - i searched about this tho!)

where the 6*9s are, is it sealed?

is there no way of telling from looking at the speakers or the HU, or perhaps the documents to weather he has the HK upgrade? as i want to preorder the adaptor!

very much appreciated

Thanks

Rorrie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if anything goes in the boot, it will be a fiberglass box (like the auto acustics steathbox) to save space. The only reason im looking into 6*9 subs is that they will fit in the rear quarter pannels

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
rorrie said:
interms of the gear and the installation and all the ideas, im fine with, ive done a fair few boot builds,

- here is mine
Wow I like that, it looks as if you sprinkled a few crystals :rolleyes: on the carpet and the
sub grew out of it.
rorrie said:
but all the amp section has arc amps in there now and all the wiring is tided up

its just anything that i may find in the mini a struggle ( eg drilling bulk head for 12v - i searched about this tho!)

where the 6*9s are, is it sealed?
No but you can seal the cavity area with expanding foam if you wish. I tried infinite
baffle and sealed and no difference that I could tell but it's very difficult to be sure without
back to back testing.
rorrie said:
is there no way of telling from looking at the speakers or the HU, or perhaps the documents to weather he has the HK upgrade? as i want to preorder the adaptor!
I'm sure there is at least one Harmon Kardon on the HU but the speaker grilles are clear.

rorrie said:
very much appreciated

Thanks

Rorrie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats great cheers stevem3!

tnoy66 - I totally forgot about that thread, thanks very much!!

The only thing i hsve realised now, is that at home im used to having access to all the tools i would need, now at uni, all i have is a philips screwdriver! i may need to go buy or borrow some tools!!

Cheers

Rorrie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.