MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO!

So, to begin, i have a newly bought 2003 mini cooper s which i love SO MUCH. There's a few issues with it though, as expected. My first issue and my first question is as follows.

1. My driver side door
- It will not unlock via the key fob buttons. The passenger door and hatch will both unlock by pressing the unlock button on the keyfob, yet the driver side doesnt budge. The only way i can unlock the driver side door is to physically put the key into the lock. Which brings me to my second question

2. While unlocking the driver side door with the physical key, I need to jiggle it pretty aggressively for the key to go inside.
It's not a big deal, but its just a thing that would improve my experience with the car a substantial amount. Solving issue #1 would likely remedy this, as I wouldn't need to use the physical key to unlock the car anymore.

3. The passenger side window
When I go to roll it up, the window jiggles and shakes. Again, small issue but i'd like to fix it.

4. Glove box
The glove box wont close. I believe it would be the hatch as there's nothing besides my registration in the glove box.

5. The driver side seat
The seat's lever to adjust height seems to be locked. I've tried to put WD-40 in it. Not sure if i put it in the right place or not but it just will not budge. I'm a tall guy so i need to sit as low to the ground as i can go! Lol, i've hit my head on the ceiling one too many times.

6. Weird buzzing noise
Sometimes it sounds like my car is humming to me. I've heard it's the power steering? Though, I don't really know enough about cars to judge what the noise is. I will try to upload a video later on of the noise if i can capture it on video.

Any help is appreciated! Please and thankyou!

· Registered
48 Posts
Hi
Afraid I can’t help with most of these issues!
I did however have the glovebox not shutting on my cooper s. Is the catch still there, attached to the lid? If so..
In my case, it was the spring behind the catch in the lid. It was a while ago so if memory serves.. I removed the broken spring with tweezers (I think this was just plastic). Then as a temporary fix a tightly folded piece of card (into a V shape) was put behind the catch to act as the spring! All it needs is to be sitting forward and have a little give to be able to open.
This temporary fix remained in place for the next 4 years and is most likely still there!!
Hope it helps

· Registered
13,590 Posts
HELLO!

So, to begin, i have a newly bought 2003 mini cooper s which i love SO MUCH. There's a few issues with it though, as expected. My first issue and my first question is as follows.

1. My driver side door
- It will not unlock via the key fob buttons. The passenger door and hatch will both unlock by pressing the unlock button on the keyfob, yet the driver side doesnt budge. The only way i can unlock the driver side door is to physically put the key into the lock. Which brings me to my second question

2. While unlocking the driver side door with the physical key, I need to jiggle it pretty aggressively for the key to go inside.
It's not a big deal, but its just a thing that would improve my experience with the car a substantial amount. Solving issue #1 would likely remedy this, as I wouldn't need to use the physical key to unlock the car anymore.

3. The passenger side window
When I go to roll it up, the window jiggles and shakes. Again, small issue but i'd like to fix it.

4. Glove box
The glove box wont close. I believe it would be the hatch as there's nothing besides my registration in the glove box.

5. The driver side seat
The seat's lever to adjust height seems to be locked. I've tried to put WD-40 in it. Not sure if i put it in the right place or not but it just will not budge. I'm a tall guy so i need to sit as low to the ground as i can go! Lol, i've hit my head on the ceiling one too many times.

6. Weird buzzing noise
Sometimes it sounds like my car is humming to me. I've heard it's the power steering? Though, I don't really know enough about cars to judge what the noise is. I will try to upload a video later on of the noise if i can capture it on video.

Any help is appreciated! Please and thankyou!
one door not locking on the remote, maybe the cable that runs between the door and door shut its in a rubber protector the wires in there tend to go hard them snap as its getting very old now, copper goes brittle with age, failing that need to use multi meter and check for earth and check for live voltage to muliti plug in side door and door mech, very common is door lock mech inside door to fail,, if not in the door or wires then body control module hmmm expensive,
as for the key hole on the other door get some wd40 and spray in to where the key goes and work the key a few times should free it up. if its lock barrel worn out can get new one to fit your key from mini.
passenger side window rattle chances are the rubber sliders in the door tracks are worn out gone hard can get new from mini or second ones from breaker maybe
the seat is best dealt with out of the car chances are it worn out get one from a breaker might have to change over your covers to its frame unless can find same colour
and now the one you really do need to get fixed before it ruins your day with a accident as when fail they can catch fire the will loose all steering not nice to enter a corner like that, link below for best option

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.