MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

Just wanted to say that this is my first post here and in a good way I am a little jealous that you guys in the UK and Europe get the Mini D. I sometimes wish we could get a diesel mini over on this side of the pond as it sounds like a phenominal car. The only diesels we get here are the VW TDI's and the one Mercedes Benz Diesel in the E class in car models and our pickup trucks get them too...but it just isn't the same.

Glad to hear they are such hot cars in Europe.

Mike Hendrick

·
Registered
5 Posts
The best of both worlds?

Why don't we create an Island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean called Eurica or something where we can have both the MO(O)D and the low US gas prices? :D

I guess all you need is some patience Mike, as soon as the sulfur grade of the US Diesel drops (Scheduled for next year I believe) they'll also start importing our fine diesel cars into the US. In the mean time all I can advise you is to take a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong vacation in Europe and cruise around in a MO(O)D here. DO some country hopping, see the sites and enjoy the mini!

bartje

·
Registered
5 Posts
2$ a gallon expensive?

My dear mike, in Belgium we're at 5$/gallon for diesel and that's cheaper than the Euro 95 or Euro 98 Petrol which reaches about 6$/gallon. Mind you that Belgium is one of the cheaper countries to get fuel in the EU...

Now, I'm still driving my dad's PT Cruiser Diesel to work every day. Lucky me I can get the diesel on his company credit card so I can dodge the VAT (21% in our little country) so home/work fuel sucks up "only" 310 $ of my budget every month without taxes...

and you're still complaining about expensive? Start making that Island I proposed, now!
;)

bartje

·
Registered
362 Posts
In England 95 octane Unleaded and Ultra-low sulphur diesel are both about 92p/ litre

At $1.85 = £1, and 3.81 litres = 1 US gallon, that's $6.48 per US gallon.

That doesn't make any US prices seem expensive to us.

OTOH, fuel prices are not the most expensive part of running a car. For most people depreciation of the car costs a lot more.

If fuel was the overriding issue, Mini Diesels would be the most popular variant, rather than the least popular one as it is now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts