MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nearest dealer is 119 miles away, with 5 more to choose from if I go 127 miles. This means dealer servicing will require a day-trip and any problems with the car will be a BIG pain. I would like to hear from anyone else on the US waiting lists who is a long way from their dealer - how are you planning to face these problems? What are the chances of finding someone else to service the car?

On a positive note - I will probably have the only MINI in my area for a while! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm exactly 200 miles away from my closest dealer (all be it a staight shot down the interstate to Kansas City). My thinking is this... for a total breakdown (car non-driveable) I'd use the Emergency Roadside Assistance program and let Mini pay for towing, my hotel, and so on. For minor problems and routine maintenance I'm hoping Baron Mini will offer Saturday service (like Baron BMW does now). Bottom line... it will be a hassle (especially during our mid-west winters), but I'm hoping with a little luck my trips will be kept to a minimal.

Because I'm planning to lease, however, I'm figuring on a trip to the dealer every 3 months (just to be on the safe side) into the total miles I'll need. No matter what... fingers crossed! :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Keith said:
My nearest dealer is 119 miles away, with 5 more to choose from if I go 127 miles. This means dealer servicing will require a day-trip and any problems with the car will be a BIG pain. I would like to hear from anyone else on the US waiting lists who is a long way from their dealer - how are you planning to face these problems? What are the chances of finding someone else to service the car?
Keith, I’m in San Antonio, Texas and my nearest dealer is in New Orleans, about 500 miles away. The next nearest MINI dealer to me is in Memphis -- about 630 miles from here -- so I think I understand your concerns. (And, yes I am crazy :p )

BMW/MINIUSA recognizes that 70 MINI dealers are spread very thinly across the US. If you look at the link below (and the link within it) you’ll see that these concerns have been presented to BMW and you can read their response.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3319

It is very clear that BMW dealers who do not have MINI franchises will not be servicing MINIs. So, the only safety net is the Roadside Assistance program that is provided at no cost when you purchase a MINI. If, as it has been suggested, this service is as robust as the roadside assistance offered to BMW customers, it will provide some comfort. However, routine servicing, and visits to the dealer to correct minor faults will certainly be a hassle for me, you and other MINI owners who are distant from dealers. However, I believe in the MINI that much that I’m willing to put up with the distance.

I should point out that in my case, I don’t expect the 500-mile distance to a dealer to last forever, as sometime within this year there should be some additional MINI dealers announced in Texas. No MINI dealers have been named in Texas yet due to a lawsuit concerning the way BMW sets up franchises in this state. However, I have my fingers crossed that the lawsuit will be settled soon and at least 5 or 6 MINI dealers will be identified in Texas and set up soon afterward. One of the hopeful BMW dealers who believes they will get a MINI franchise is here in town and only about 6 miles from me.

I would also think that more MINI dealers will be set up all over the country as the car becomes more and more popular over time (and I certainly believe it will).

Keith said:
...On a positive note - I will probably have the only MINI in my area for a while! :)
Same here, in a city with a population of 1.5 million people I'll own perhaps the only MINI - :) - for quite a while I'm thinking.

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
That sought of mileage you guys are doing all for the sake of having the pleasure of owning a MINI is amazing to say the least.

But IMHO its the best car on the roads today for sheer enjoyment and value for money.

So it is worth it guys. :) :) :) :)

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
My Australian dealer said that ALL BMW dealers would be able to service the MINI, therefore we here in Oz won't have to drive 1500 kms to get our cars serviced.

Makes sense as there are only about 15 MINI dealers in a country the size of mainland USA, with a population of 20 million.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
eltel said:
My Australian dealer said that ALL BMW dealers would be able to service the MINI, therefore we here in Oz won't have to drive 1500 kms to get our cars serviced.

Makes sense as there are only about 15 MINI dealers in a country the size of mainland USA, with a population of 20 million.
My dealer also said the same thing......(might be the same as yours eltel). The motronic gear in the MINI is the same as the 3 series and plugs straight into BMW's diagnostics.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Keith said:
I would like to hear from anyone else on the US waiting lists who is a long way from their dealer - how are you planning to face these problems? :)
My nearest dealer is 109 miles away with 4 more between 161 and 200+ miles. I too would expect to use the Emergency Servive for major problems. Normal service will probably be handled by taking the car in on a Sat, returning home via bus and returning the following Sat to pick it up. If I'm lucky the dealership will get me in an out the same day or give me a loaner for the week but if not the bus option will work. This closest dealer just broke ground this week so I'm going to have a lot of time to consider the problem. I want a Nov delivery but that is probably optimistic at this point!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
:D :D :D

cheer up you guys, the MINI process is as unique as child birth (as I imagine) a lot of pain at the start, but once it's all over you forget all about it, and love what pops out!
there is one thing you have all over looked... your MINI won't breakdown?! it is a fantasic piece of engineering. So why not make a weekend break of the once every 12,000 mile trip to the dealers? I make any excuse just to go somewhere in this car.

Belfast is known the world over for all the wrong reasons, but luckily I have a choice of 4 MINI dealers within 20 miles so it's easy for me to talk!

good luck

:p :p :p :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts