MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that all cars sold in the US starting in 2008 will be required to have higher headrests that also sit closer to the head to prevent whiplash.

Just thought you would like to know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well the MINI headrest wouldn't necessarely be higher. It may meet the required height already. Every new car I've been in so far had a headrest that was plenty high for me and I'm 6 feet tall. I have an older car from 1993 though and the headrest seems a bit low in the default position but it is adjustable. As long as you can adjust the headrest to the height of your head what is the big deal anyway? What's next, a law for tighter seatbelts?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
OK by me.
I've always thought head "restraints" have been poorly designed by the majority of auto companies.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
GMFlash said:
Well the MINI headrest wouldn't necessarely be higher. It may meet the required height already. Every new car I've been in so far had a headrest that was plenty high for me and I'm 6 feet tall. I have an older car from 1993 though and the headrest seems a bit low in the default position but it is adjustable. As long as you can adjust the headrest to the height of your head what is the big deal anyway? What's next, a law for tighter seatbelts?
It also has to be close enough to the head to actually prevent the motion that causes whiplash. If it's 4 inches away, the damage will be done before your head hits it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
obehave said:
The Volvo WHIPS system should be the benchmark.
Actually you are right. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety investigated the performance of Head Restraints and found the Volvos across the range to perform the best. The MINI got a Good rating for the Head to Restraint Geometry but only a Marginal for overall performance. See the MINI ratings at
http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/head_restraints/head_mini.htm
and if you drill down in that site you can see the performance of other cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts