MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've had my car in 4 times now to fix a rattle behind the cover of the a-pillar. Each time it goes in all they do is remove the cover and put felt on the back. I actually think the problem is behind the cover, not the actual cover rattling.

It isn't present all the time, only manifests when I go on a long bumpy journey. The longer the journey the louder it gets. But when I leave the car for a couple of hours it all-but disappears. So it's hard getting the dealer to hear the problem as it's not always there.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what was the fix for it?

Many thanks,
Richard.

· Registered
437 Posts
fergusor said:
Hi Guys,

I've had my car in 4 times now to fix a rattle behind the cover of the a-pillar. Each time it goes in all they do is remove the cover and put felt on the back. I actually think the problem is behind the cover, not the actual cover rattling.

It isn't present all the time, only manifests when I go on a long bumpy journey. The longer the journey the louder it gets. But when I leave the car for a couple of hours it all-but disappears. So it's hard getting the dealer to hear the problem as it's not always there.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what was the fix for it?

Many thanks,
Richard.
Intermittent faults are difficult to diagnose. Is your rattle/noise audible in the cabin? i.e. Is it an internal or external noise? If the A pillar cover fit (external) has a problem then wind noise would be a problem. You would hear a pronounced rushing noise when travelling at 40 MPH+ that is clearly audible from the cabin (inside the car).

· Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
I've got the same problem with both of my inside a-pillar covers.

First time at the dealer they said they couldn't hear it. Second time in the removed the passenger side one and didn't have a replacement. I've been driving round for over a week without the cover. It's doesn't rattle now, but I noticed that running up the screen side of the pillar is a wire with felt twist around it, at one point for about 6 inches along the wire the felt isn't twisted along the wire so if it vibrates againsted the screen or the cover im sure it would make a rattling noise.

The drivers side doesn't rattle againsted the screen anymore, it squeaks againsted the rubber seal.

If they don't fix it the third time it goes in, i'm taking it to another dealer.

Luke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.