MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read bad review after bad review of Herb Chambers MINI and felt I should help 'em out with some good ink.

I think Herb Chambers had its problems in the past, but with it's current management is heading in the right direction. My car buying experience was completely stress and hassle free.

Azi, my MA, was very helpful and professional. He was in constant contact with me, keeping me updated on the status of my long awaited MINI. The reason I ultimately chose HC was because I went to another dealership first and felt the MA was very unprofessional and talked more about the VW Jetta than he did the MINI. (at the time I was trying to decide between a Jetta and a MINI... I know what was I thinking)

I've read the reviews that focus on the extras HC try to 'push on you.' Sure I was told I should buy LoJack, an alarm, and a clear bra, but it wasn't 'pushed on me.' I thought about it, did my research (thanks, in main part, to MINI2), and realized for me all I wanted was the alarm. I told my MA and that was it, never mentioned again.

My limited experience with the service dept. has been good. I have only had a state inspection done, which did take a good 30 minutes, but still I felt the service dept is well organized, and individualized.

I hope my next car buying experience will be as easy as this one. I definitely recommend Herb Chambers MINI to anyone looking to buy. Ask for Azi!

Kevin
564 miles and counting....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am glad to hear that you had a very good experience with them. I was happy with them when I first bought my previous car there too. The true test is to see if you are still happy with them in a year or two.

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
I've been having all of my warranty service done at H.C. The service department is excellent. there was a problem with some service they performed on my car, once out of many. I called, my complaint was handled with the utmost professionalism, they quickly rectified my issues, and I left with a smile feeling good about them.
mark, the service writer is the best i've met in the business. He makes me feel as if I'm the most important customer in the place.
many people say that I shouldn't go there, I haven't found a reason yet.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Honestly, this is nice to hear and have posted. 180 degrees from my 2002 experiences.

·
Privileged & Gifted
8,137 Posts
Happy Motoring! Good to hear your motoring experience has been positive. Nice to see that Herb Chambers has seen the light.

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
Good to hear. I hate driving to the North Shore.

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
oldpaint1 said:
Good to hear. I hate driving to the North Shore.
when I go there, i always request peter, he's the master tech (head tech) and the work is always high quality.

I'm a mechanic with 14 years experience, and i always recheck the work done. there's never a problem when he works on my car. Anyway, i dont think you have to be a mechanic to recognize bad craftsmanship.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad to hear it.

I've heard some horror stories in the past about HC, good to know they got the message. There's so few dealers around. It's still more convenient for me to goto Peabody, and I had a great experience there with the order. (don't have the car yet, so can't comment on anything more)

Really wish there was a dealer in NH... hello MINI, you listening?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I can see it now

MINI of Concord

Sadly for us up here, the rumor is that the next NE MINI dealership will be in RI.

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
BWROOFCHEX said:
when I go there, i always request peter, he's the master tech (head tech) and the work is always high quality.

I'm a mechanic with 14 years experience, and i always recheck the work done. there's never a problem when he works on my car. Anyway, i dont think you have to be a mechanic to recognize bad craftsmanship.
I really meant the driving part of going to the north shore.

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
I thought you gave up on Roadfly!!

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
pezboy said:
I thought you gave up on Roadfly!!
Almost ... I just stick my head in once a week these days; having met RepoMan, his screen name jumped out.

A bit like RTAs; you know you should not look, and you won't like what you see, but you have to peek anyway ;)

·
Former BMW Driver
15 Posts
Yes, that was I that gave HC the glowing review. Here's the list of things they did. Replaced coolant recovery tank and dipstick with upgraded parts. Fixed sunroof rattle. Fixed rear hatch rattle with upgraded striker/latch unit. Fixed loose antenna connection to radio. Updated ECU software to v.38, de-programmed auto-locking feature and programmed new spare key. They also replaced my wiper blades and did the breather hose recall item. And to top it off, they gave the car a good wash, including the wheels. I don't know what they used on the wheels to get them so sparkly looking, but I'm sure it required some extra effort. Everything was done to my satisfaction, with ZERO cost to me. The only item they were unable to correct is the moisture/condensation problem with the right tail light, but that's because they didn't have the part in stock. They told me to bring it back when the new light comes in and they'll be happy to install it under warranty. I was also happy to see the car showing the same odometer mileage as when I dropped it off, so I know that nobody took it out for a test drive (aka: "thrashing" ) I also had a nice conversation with Mark the SA and I told him that HC got slammed pretty bad on the net. He acknowledged that the previous SA was of a rather miserable type and didn't endear himself well to customers. (I'm being polite here) That's why he isn't there anymore. Mark really seems to be making a genuine effort to turn things around and earn that "5" rating the old-fashioned way, by doing right by the customer. I don't know if the praise of one person is going to change anyone elses' opinion of the service at HC, but I know that I'll certainly go back to them.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Good to hear from you again, Mr RepoMan :)
MINI USA North East have been concerned with the reputation of HC, and clearly one way or another things have changed - let's hope we end up with two good local dealerships.

·
Welcome back...
1,435 Posts
jcsinnh said:
I can see it now

MINI of Concord

Sadly for us up here, the rumor is that the next NE MINI dealership will be in RI.
Yuck, can't they just double up with one of the Mass dealers we need one up here and John it will be:
MINI of Manchester if there is any justice.

Winslow
:eb:

·
likes pork
56 Posts
I bought my first MC from Peabody and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Living less than a mile away from Herb Chambers, I figured I'd try their service department even though I was disappointed with their sales department. Good choice! Mark Ravin is a great service writer... very knowledgeable and personable, and a true fan of the car. Service has always been quick and easy.

I just picked up my new 2005 MCS from mini of the hamptons (it amazed me that they had what I was looking for on the water :D ) and I'll continue to service at HC as long as they keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Wait just a minute

You can't be jbaker. There is a jbaker already and he is nowhere nearly as sensitive and cultured as you seem to be. Something's fishy here.......(as a newbie, your current confusion is quite understandable but just wait)

In 2002, there could be no worse sales person of any product on God's little earth than Mark Ravin. This kid was so out there he cost me at least 3 months on my delivery and was even late the day I picked up my car - he never showed. Lucky for him! What paperwork I needed done, Hrach did it just fine. The Sales Mgr. at the time could not get me out of there fast enough on 10/17/02.

Needless to say, I am surprised but pleased that Mr. Ravin has obviously matured a bunch. Good for you and other Herbie customers. It looks like things may be turning around although my emails to the current sales manager go unanswered while those to MoP are responded to the same day. Quality starts at the top.

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
jcsinnh said:
You can't be jbaker. There is a jbaker already and he is nowhere nearly as sensitive and cultured as you seem to be. Something's fishy here.......(as a newbie, your current confusion is quite understandable but just wait)

In 2002, there could be no worse sales person of any product on God's little earth than Mark Ravin. This kid was so out there he cost me at least 3 months on my delivery and was even late the day I picked up my car - he never showed. Lucky for him! What paperwork I needed done, Hrach did it just fine. The Sales Mgr. at the time could not get me out of there fast enough on 10/17/02.

Needless to say, I am surprised but pleased that Mr. Ravin has obviously matured a bunch. Good for you and other Herbie customers. It looks like things may be turning around although my emails to the current sales manager go unanswered while those to MoP are responded to the same day. Quality starts at the top.
maybe mark was a lousy salesman, but he's a good service advisor. I'm heading in tomorrow to have my heated seat fixed. I'll send an update.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Please note I said I was pleased he has changed for the better as I am pleased that the dealership may have finally seen the light of good customer service. When I worked in healthcare, we knew that horror stories re your hospital stay were retold far more than 2x the tales of good or great treatment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts