MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'd appreciate a bit of advice about the following oil related questions:

1) Is it ok to rev the engine to 4000rpm from cold?

2) When is the oil at actual operating temperature? A friend of mine says that I shouldn't 'open her up' until I've driven for 10 miles. But it's going to be a long drive just so I can have some 'proper' fun with the car, never mind the unnecessary fuel expense!

3) Does it all in fact really matter? Is it really going to cause the engine long-term damage if I'm revving to say 4500-5000 before the oil has reached operating temperature?

Thanks. :confused:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
4000 RPM on a cold engine is kind of high... Try to keep it below 3K. Some even say 3K is high... but in first it reaches 3K so fast... *shrugs* so thats just when I shift...

It doesnt take 10 miles to reach normal operating temp... 2.5 miles is enough...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I keep it below 4k when cold but once the temp gauge is on it's way up I use as many
revs as I like. It's a modern car designed to be driven by idiots so I'm an expert :p
Ah for the good old days of Ferrari when you had to drive gently to let the gearbox warm
up but by the time the gearbox oil was warm the gentle driving had caused the plugs to
coke up. Carbon on the plugs to any fellow fan of the film A New Leaf (Walter Matthau).

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
I have the aux guage set so I can see the difference between engine oil temp and coolant temp. The coolant seems to heat up twice as fast as the engine oil. So give the engine an extra few minutes after the coolant temp is in the normal range.

They should have put a yellow line on the tach.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
oldpaint1 said:
They should have put a yellow line on the tach.
Like in the Ms where its a variable redline... DAH I really wanted that... especially when the readline in the MINI now is lit up by lights anyways... Oh wells...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Takes mine about 4-5mins to hit normal operating temp and then I open her up. Not always 10miles for me, usually more like 2 in London!

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
It doesnt take 10 miles to reach normal operating temp... 2.5 miles is enough...
Firstly it depends what the ambient temperature is before you start the car..........

The first few seconds of engine running are the worst, as it takes 1-2 seconds at idle speed to fully fill all the lubrication galleries in the block / head, and get upto a decent working pressure. These galleries are not usually fitted with non-return valves, so there's nothing to stop them from draining slightly over night etc.

The oil pump is usually sized to give around 50% more flow than that is required at idle speed, to allow for this scenario.

Assuming a start temperature of around 10oC (50oF) to get the oil fully warmed through will depend on what speed you are running the engine at, as the faster you run the engine the quicker the oil will circulate within the block / head., and as such it will warm quicker.

I usually keep my MCS below 3500rpm for the first 5 miles, but avoid running it beyond 5000rpm until I've done at least 10 miles.

Don't confuse the water temperature (on the gauge) with oil temperature. Modern engines are design to heat the coolant quickly, as there are regs that stipulate a minimum warm-up time from cold (as in -40oC) to the point where the cabin is warmed up sufficiently.

Hope this helps....??

Robert

(Ex Lotus Engineering......)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
wobert123 said:
Firstly it depends what the ambient temperature is before you start the car..........

(Ex Lotus Engineering......)
Right... I neglected to mention that... I made the assumtion that everyones weather is like mine... never really dips below freezing... :D lowest it ever gets is 33 F and ya... I dont think it takes 10 miles to warm the engine up. And besides... at 75% warmed up... its ok to hit 5K RPM right? even tho its not 100% warmed up...

C'Mon C'Mon answers now Lotus Engineer! :p :p :p Thats awesome!

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I try and keep it under 3K until the water temp is up. It is as important to NOT use full throttle even at low rpms.

Just be patient. Don't forget that you are also not up to full operating potential either. A few minutes at lower speeds is not a real hardship, you are still having "quality time" with your baby. Enjoy the firm, positive feel of the steering, the accuracy and tightness of the shifter, the firmness and support of the seats, the cabin filling sound of the stereo.

Then as you warm up and your MINI warms up you can enjoy the pleasures of full throttle, red line rpms together.

Just one Hobbits opinion. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
gezmedinger said:
Takes mine about 4-5mins to hit normal operating temp and then I open her up. Not always 10miles for me, usually more like 2 in London!
The biggest misconception concerning warm up is that the water temp gauge is often used as a guide to engine temp.

A water temp gauge only tells you when the circulating water is warm having been heated only by initial engine block warm up .....warm air out of the heater etc.....not when the engine oil or the reciprocating masses are at full operating temp.

It is absolutely critical for engine efficiency and longevity to allow for oil temp and most importantly the engine internals to reach full operating temperature before subjecting it to high loads and 10 miles is the benchmark for modern engines or 10-15 minutes in very slow moving traffic with slightly longer duration in cold climates.

The ultimate goal isn't in fact to 'warm' the oil but for all engine components to reach operating size relative to each other, a process that's barely started by the time the water temp gauge is at normal and isn't fully completed even when the oil reaches normal operating temp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much guys for all the advice, especially speedynz and wobert123. I think I understand it all a bit more now! I guess I'll keep my MC under 3500rpm for first 5 miles and then gradually increase rpms, opening her up at around the 10 mile mark. :)

36 Posts
most newer cars MFG's state that no breakin or warm up time is required, but the fact is, there is no oil at the top of your engine when it starts. most engine wear occurs here. also, when cold, oil is thick. after it warms, it gets thin and up into the top of the engine. you wont notice any positive effects of letting the car warm up before revving it, but it a certain car wears out around 100k mi, one that was allowed to warm up all its life might not wear out until 130k mi or more.
If you dont like having to drive until the car is warm until you get on it, try to start cranking it up in the driveway about 10 min b/f you leave. it will be ready when you are.

Jason

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The only downside to modern electronic engine management is that it LETS you drive the heck out of your car when it's cold with no stumbling, coughing, backfiring, dying at idle, etc.
Turn up the stereo and watch the crazy people for a few minutes before you jump into the fray...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I don't see why I should potter about like a scaredy cat to help out the fifth or sixth owner.
I bet more harm is done by people slogging an engine in too high a gear than people using
revs. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts