MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Sorry this is a long one but hell, I only post a few times a year :D)

Well, after almost 5 years of ownership of a fantastic little, but big hearted car, I'm somewhat sad to say that my Pure Silver MINI Cooper will be going. Our other MINI (a ONE) has already gone, because, despite what many people say (and we respect those people), trying to get a baby in and out of the back of a MINI just is not easy (even more so if we were evern involved in an accident), and shopping with a baby and a MINI isn't doable so it had to go in favour of a 5 door. :(

For myself, I wanted a much more powerful car (and a touch more space). I have therefore been given a pick up date of this Thursday of a brand new SEAT Leon Cupra K1 (Inferi black with black 18" wheels).

I know many will ask why. Well, they're pretty much a VW in a different skin and with input from Audi and Porsche, the result is a very decent car (Numerous BTCC race winners) with a good amount of power (tweakable to well over 300Bhp ;) )

I certainly did consider another MINI because (despite some big problems which I'll talk about in a bit) I loved my Cooper and hell the UK NW guys will tell you of some of my exploits ;). However in recent years, despite the MINI being a great little car, I personally believe BMW are aiming the car at a different audience and are seriously over-pricing it. If I want 200+Bhp, AND have a specced up MINI, I have to spend £21 - £25K.

Seriously, BMW, if you have people reading this forum, you're over-pricing the MINI in my opinion. There are other cars out there with more options and power for less price. They may not have all the looks of a MINI but not everyone buys cars for its looks or following.

I got the Leon Cupra with 240Bhp, all the bells and whistles a specced up MINI has (and more), and a little bit more space for £19250 (knocked down £2K because I haggled with them).

My relationship with the MINI was a Love/Hate relationship. I loved the quirkyness, the grip, the power (after 4Krpm) and ALL the other fun owning a MINI brings with regards to driving it, the community, the runs and other events.

However on the flip side of that, Padded out dashboard, New Gearbox, Gear selector cables, clutch, ABS Sensors, Track rod ends (in warranty), Manifold, and Chrome trim was a bit too much to accept and all that happened within the first 2 and a half years (thank god for warranties). The siezed rear brake caliper I had to pay for out of warranty. :(

I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to MINI2 for being such a cool place. My post count isn't regular. Hell, I'm down to around 3 or 4 posts a year maximum however I've had numerous occasions of fun and MINI adventures as a result of MINI2.

I'd like to thank (jeez this is like the Oscars.. lol):

*Paul Mullet for being the real daddy of MINI2

*Mikeythemini for his excellent ICE, Lighting and other MINI Electronic services, and his absolutely FANTASTIC Annual Lakes tours (he ain't getting rid of me that easily though :D )

*Rakey for a crazy drive over the lake district a few years back :D, and being a very decent chap :)

*Ramsey for his Heartbeat runs and of course the other Yorkshire lads and ladies for letting me join them on various runs

*ALL the organisers of the MINI Charity Ball events and affiliated runs. You guys do a superb job of creating an event that helps others. Big respect for that.

*All the people who helped me with technical issues.

*And last but most definitely not least, The NW Crew. In fact, biggest thanks to you guys for being who you are - ALL very good people and particularly helpful in sorting out my cars extras ;) :D

Favourite Quotes:

Fishtail: "That's the fastest I've ever seen a MINI corner with 4 people in it and not be half way up a tree" In response to my negotiating country lanes on the heartbeat run

Windy Miller: "That's one quick cooper or the driver is a nutter. I'm in a JCW and even I can't shake him on the corners" In response to my sticking with him on Bubbles Barmy Bash :D

Lynn (MINI2 Mum): "Steve get out the f****** car, it's on fire" In response to Windy Miller having a bit of grass caught on the exhaust which caught fire on Bubbles Barmy Bash :D

Lynn (MINI2 Mum): "Take a ride in Clarky's car, your hair dries in no time :D"

Redun: "Leave it off, less weight :D"

All the NW Crew: "MINT!!! :D"

Finally, I'll not be leaving MINI2 as such because I have not ruled out getting another MINI in the future plus there's a good amount of people on here I consider to be friends and will continue my occasional postings in the NW Banter forum :)

So good luck to everyone who has and will be getting a MINI. Keep the spirit alive :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck Ian:)

The Leon is a good motor, even if I believe Seat need to give the sporty versions a meatier look.

Don't be a stranger ;)

Cheers Humph. I agree with regards to the meaty look however the K1 certainly does have the edge over the standard Cupra don't ya think? :)

I'd have liked the 285Bhp Cupra Copa which bosts a very slightly different styled body kit and viper stripes.. heh but the price was beyond my budget :)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
I was talking about this to someone the other day, gone are the days of Mini being a cheap car. I remember my first Cooper coming in at £14K. You can add a few grand more to that if you want one now. It's a shame.

Best of luck with your new car. :)

·
GP 1752
3,215 Posts
my wife was in mini at the weekend ,looking to get a auto cooper with some little toys on it, came in at 17,100, mini are not cheap ....

the leon is one sexy looking car Ian , have fun driving it.

Neil....

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
I don't know you Ian, but I wanted to say I loved your post ... it's wonderful how this little car and this great website makes such friendships & communities. Best wishes for your future :)

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
I also loved your post, I was nodding in agreement at your warranty issues as I had them with my old Cooper and I laughed out loud at your Oscars! Good luck with your new car :)
I've been MINIless since March 2007.....but...I can't resist the appeal of them, they make me smile like no other car can....so I'm coming back! :D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for all the kind comments :)

I was driving the MINI today and had that stomach lurching feeling as I knew it would be one of the last times I would drive it (the poor GF was in tears the night before she let hers go but she knew she had to - she has also swore she'll get another MINI in a few years time hehe :) ).

I'll certainly be sticking around. Too many good people here :)

Thanks again all :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts