MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
im a new user here, and i dont know much about modding mini's... I happily own a stock 2003 Mini Cooper S. The car is pretty quick, but i need more. Im considering modding the car.
I know that this is a repeated question by new members, and i apologise for it. Yet i didnt find sufficiant information while searching the site.
i researched and looked around to find parts that i can install to my MCS, yet seeing the variety of products and different upgrades, im confused..
I dont really know what to buy.
The thing is, i plan to Mod the car using bolt-ons, as in, no head or block modifications.
Another aspect i have to put in consideration is that i currently live in the USA but my car is back home in Bahrain.
Therefore, all the mods will be done in the BMW Dealer in my country.
My Question is, based on my current situation, which package would suit me best? (if for any reason NON) what mods would you reccomend, and by which aftermarket manufacturer?
Thanks in advance
-0111
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Welcome to Mini2. Since I am currently starting mods to my '03 MCS, here's the mods I'm doing right now:

1. Pulley. Brand is not too important, but the Helix13 is designed with a seperate hub, so you can change between 15%, 17% or 19% rather easily. The choice of overdrive is yours, depending on how brave you are, but I'm going with the 17%.

2. ECU re-map. I'm using the MTH system. Easy to do yourself and can be optimized for other mods.

3. Intake. There are a lot of them out there, all claiming more or less the same thing. A lot of people may disagree, but for the money, I think the Hot Air Intake (see ) makes a lot more sense. This mod has been well researched and the gains are very believable. Again, this is one you can do yourself and only costs about $35-40, depending on where you get the filter. If you decide to do this, the K&N RU-1550 filter fits better than the RU-1520.

4. Exhaust. Again, a lot of claims being made and a large range in prices. The choice is really yours, as most of them will be less restrictive than stock and will definitely sound better. Since a friend of mine owns a muffler shop with a mandrel tubing bender, he's making a custom 1.75" stainless steel cat-back system for me (for a lot less than the aftermarket systems...).

One thing to keep in mind through all of this is that the manufacturers are just trying to make $$, so the numbers and claims should be taken with due respect. Even if they have dyno numbers to 'back up' their claims, they are still just advertising their products and trying to get you to buy their stuff instead of their competitor's. Common sense is usually the answer.

Have fun and Happy Motoring...
:green:
 

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
I would start at the exahust, then go for a brakes conversion, then more power. If a BMW dealer is doing it, your choice is limited to the John Cooper Works conversion. Its not the highest in horsepower, but seems to have the edge on other areas like warranty, resale, and plain prefessionalism.
 

·
The Silverado
Joined
·
800 Posts
this has been asked a million times...:)

from what ive taken from the forum i would suggest.. (as a starting point)

Do the pulley and ECU combo... the AmD Stage 1 kit has won me over. and when i can afford it, I am doing it:)

thats apparently where you will see the highest gains.. intake and exhaust will only allow the car to breath in and out better.

a rear sway bar is an excellent idea for handling aswell.. many people on this forum love them to death!

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tony*t3 said:
I would start at the exahust, then go for a brakes conversion, then more power. If a BMW dealer is doing it, your choice is limited to the John Cooper Works conversion. Its not the highest in horsepower, but seems to have the edge on other areas like warranty, resale, and plain prefessionalism.
Thank you for your reply bro, but im looking at power first. I mean, maybe when the cars brakes arnt enough that i would do a mod. For now im after power. about the dealer, he will only do the fitting for me, it is not covered by the waranty and im responsible for all expenses. I considered the JCW conversion, but i think its overpriced, and for the money i can spend on the JCW, i believe i can achieve 200hp for cheaper.

bkwalker said:
this has been asked a million times...:)
from what ive taken from the forum i would suggest.. (as a starting point)
Do the pulley and ECU combo... the AmD Stage 1 kit has won me over. and when i can afford it, I am doing it:)
thats apparently where you will see the highest gains.. intake and exhaust will only allow the car to breath in and out better.
a rear sway bar is an excellent idea for handling aswell.. many people on this forum love them to death!
good luck
Again i apologise for asking a repeated question, and thank you for replying.
I am considering the ECU and Pulley conversion, and i too believe the AmD kit is the kit to go with. My only concern is that the car is back home in the Kingdom of Bahrain.Will i be able to purchase the kit online? if so, do they ship internationally? if not, do they ship to the USA? Is the ECU compatible with the Fuel we use in Bahrain? Would an average mechanic be able to do the Job? (supposing the dealer wont)
*any other feedback is appreciated

Please correct me if i am wrong, but in most cases an intake+exaust+header is very beneficial to make the car faster. Does anyone have these as mods on his MCS? if so, do you notive any difference in performance? and what brand of exaust+header+intake shows the most gains?

I apologise, but i do not have a lot of experience in modding cars. especially Minis.
 

·
The Silverado
Joined
·
800 Posts
g'day
i know you can buy the AmD ECU online somewhere.. im not sure where though. someone on here will know.

what fuel do you use is bahrain? pretty sure the ECU is compatible with most fuels. they aren't trying to complicate things.

anyhow. you could start off with just a pulley and then get the ECU later on when you know more about it!
As for intake, exhausts.. i have an Alta CAI... apparently gives 8hp... i cant notice anything though.. you can hear the supercharger when you take it past 4000rpm though.
i guess it helps the car breath better but gains aren't noticable.

you will get most power through the pulley and ECU.. in my opinion: the exhaust and intake *complete* the process but aren't (IMO) 100% necessary..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bkwalker said:
g'day
i know you can buy the AmD ECU online somewhere.. im not sure where though. someone on here will know.

what fuel do you use is bahrain? pretty sure the ECU is compatible with most fuels. they aren't trying to complicate things.

anyhow. you could start off with just a pulley and then get the ECU later on when you know more about it!
As for intake, exhausts.. i have an Alta CAI... apparently gives 8hp... i cant notice anything though.. you can hear the supercharger when you take it past 4000rpm though.
i guess it helps the car breath better but gains aren't noticable.

you will get most power through the pulley and ECU.. in my opinion: the exhaust and intake *complete* the process but aren't (IMO) 100% necessary..
Thank you for your reply.
I emailed AmD technic but nobody replied to me.
I do not know what fuel do we use in bahrain but ill find out. What should i look for, the MON figure or the RON FIgure or something else?
I am planning to go with the AmD technic stage 1 and so on untill im satisfied. If for any reason i wont be able to, i guess ill have to make my own setup.
Il let you guys know for sure.
Thanks to everyone that helped... Cheers
 

·
The Silverado
Joined
·
800 Posts
0111 said:
Thank you for your reply.
I emailed AmD technic but nobody replied to me.
I do not know what fuel do we use in bahrain but ill find out. What should i look for, the MON figure or the RON FIgure or something else?
I am planning to go with the AmD technic stage 1 and so on untill im satisfied. If for any reason i wont be able to, i guess ill have to make my own setup.
Il let you guys know for sure.
Thanks to everyone that helped... Cheers
im sure your standard premium unleaded will work find with the AmD stage 1

great choice by the way:D i cant wait to get mine!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top