MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

I've noticed that there's a lot of threads about at the moment which seem to just highlight the problems that people are having. I think it's easy to lose sight that the number of people with issues are relatively small (although their problems seem to be relatively major!) compared with the actual number of MCS's sold! In a bid to counter the negative posts, I thought I'd write my first post to describe my experiences of the MCS after a year of ownership!

I got my MCS a year ago. It's an Astro Black MCS with Chili Pack which has done approx 12,000 miles in a year. What do I think about the car after a year? AWESOME!! There. Review done!

I've been lucky in that I've never had to take the car back to a dealer - well apart from when I needed to get a new rear wheel arch trim after an idiot in a huge Dodge Ram didn't see me when he pulled out of a junction! Sure, the dashboard creaks and groans a bit but if you turn the radio up, or plant the right foot a bit more you soon forget about that! I sometimes get a rushing water noise from the air con, particularly when using the stop/start thing, but this doesn't really bother me as I'm pretty sure it's just air in the system. Of course the running water may be a prelude to the car exploding or something, but we'll cross this bridge when we come to it!

The actual pleasure of driving the car far outweighs these minor (to me!) niggles.

In 12,000 miles of varied driving on motorways and smaller country roads, I've found that the mini is slurping fuel at about 35mpg. Not bad considering that there's not much that can keep up on the roads - and especially through the corners! It's just a really enjoyable little car! The handling is great - I just have the stock suspension, not the sports version that comes with the chili pack - and the number of times I get out of the car and I just giggle with the fun of driving must be in the hundreds! It's a really easy-to-drive car even if you want to push things a little harder. My friend has a newish MR2 and he just can't commit to corners in the same way that the mini can. He reckons that I'm about 10mph faster in corners thanhim and he's on the limit!

The only downside to owning the MCS is that the car does attract the local chavs in their tarted up Corsa's. They seem to love driving up my backside in built-up areas, but they just don't stand a chance once we get into the national speed limit parts!

So, overall, after a year of driving, I have really enjoyed this car. It's still telling me that I've got another 5000 miles to it's first service (or Nov '08) which isn't bad. The handling and performance make me giggle every time so it must be pretty good, and nothing has gone wrong with the car whatsoever. The creaks and rattles from the dashboard are just a non-issue for me - my partner's Yaris makes much more of a noise!

There is a distinct lack of space in the rear - the car really is really just a two seater - and the boot will just about handle the weekly supermarket shop. If you need a four seater, then my advice is to buy something else! I'm sure some poeple cope admirably with kids etc in their back of ther minis but I would imagine they would still struggle!

Finally, would I buy another one? Absolutely! Should you be massively worried about reliability? Not as far as I'm concerned - every manufacturer has issues with bad vehicles, it's just that you never hear about the good ones! If you've got one on order you're in for an absolute scream! Enjoy!

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Nice one! :D

Heres to hoping mine doesnt now have to go back until its 1st service :p One question though, I can understand ignoring the dash rattles etc, ive learnt to do that after 4 MINIs, but the water rushing noise? How can you ignore that?! :eek: Mine needed a new water pump this week which in turn gave me the water rushing noise, I was hearing this even over the iPod, let alone everytime I turned a corner :p It will just be air in the system, mine was. I couldnt have left it though, I fully expected to open the glovebox and it be full of water and people were starting to ask me if they needed waders to be able to travel in the passenger seat :eek: :p

I like this comment 'Of course the running water may be a prelude to the car exploding or something, but we'll cross this bridge when we come to it!' - I guess, like the man from MINI assist said to me last week 'well if it blows up we'll just get you a new one' :hmph: :p

Hope you carry on enjoying your MINI as much :D :D I know I will mine :D And welcome to MINI2 :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, perhaps I should have explained that the running water noise lasts maybe a second or so before it disappears. It's almost like it's the air con system getting going that makes the noise and then it stops. It's never there continuously. I suppose I'd be a little bit more worried if it sounded like someone had installed the Niagra Falls behind my dashboard, but as it only happens very occasionly and for such a short amount of time, I'm letting it slide!

Anyhoo, it's sunny outside so I'm going for a quick blast! See you all later! :p

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Ah, perhaps I should have explained that the running water noise lasts maybe a second or so before it disappears. It's almost like it's the air con system getting going that makes the noise and then it stops. It's never there continuously. I suppose I'd be a little bit more worried if it sounded like someone had installed the Niagra Falls behind my dashboard, but as it only happens very occasionly and for such a short amount of time, I'm letting it slide!

Anyhoo, it's sunny outside so I'm going for a quick blast! See you all later! :p
Phew! :p I'll let you off then :D

Im off for a blast in mine too :D So glad I spent 6 hours washing, waxing and polishing it in the sun yesterday, its raining now :hmph: :p Have fun :p

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
At least you can enjoy watching the rain bead on the freshly waxed paintwork :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorry if I keep dragging up old posts - joined last year but didn't have time to participate in this most excellent site until recently! Thanks for your post Ian - I think you have made an excellent point.

I am now just over a year since taking delivery of our automatic MCS - did have some initial teething problems - the chrome surround on the new keys split within 5 days of owning the car so first impressions of quality weren't too good. Then the car kept losing power and going into "limp home" mode after a month. Was taken to our local dealer, "fixed" and then returned to us only for it to happen again - finally after some consultation with Oxford and some fancy new re-programming it was all sorted and we have had pretty much trouble free driving from it ever since, until last month when some old fella in an XC90 failed to notice my wife stopped at the traffic lights!! One new bumper later and we're back on the road again!:D

Our does not seem to suffer too much from any other minor niggles - there is the odd dashboard squeek from time to time but I guess I only tend to notice if the stereo is turned off (which is very rare). Yes the boot is tiny and even my small kids complain about the lack of rear leg room but you don't really buy one of these things to lug big loads around.

Although it's mainly my wife's car, I'm always coming up with some excuse to drive the Mini and genuinely have great fun driving it around town, countryside and motorway. Some of my work colleagues have caught me in it and I get to put up with the old "hairdresser" jokes but to be honest, I don't really care as I have never enjoyed owning a car as much as I do with this Mini.
Added to that of course is the huge range of options available for each of us to completely individualise our cars and the great Mini community out there with which I can discuss options and ask for advice. I really do notice how most people I pass on my 140 mile daily commute seem bored and uninterested at the wheel but how the Minis that I pass always seem to have somebody smirking to themselves behind the wheel!

Would I buy another one? Just have! Order's in for a Cooper S Clubman which I'm expecting in November. Hopefully the little bit of extra practicality means that we won't suffer too much from lack of a "traditional" family car and it will still be far more economical than my current Chelsea tractor despite being much faster. Still have a few weeks to play with the final spec so expect to see me on various posts asking for advice on various options. Have to be careful what I order though as the wife will be upset if I spec up too much - especially if the current car doesn't have it!!

Oh and supa-dupa-cooper - love your MCS - I like the standard MCS front and rear bumpers but really like the aero sides - haven't seen anybody just add the side skirts so far until I saw the picture of your car so think that may well be the next option for ours!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
I sometimes get a rushing water noise from the air con, particularly when using the stop/start thing, but this doesn't really bother me as I'm pretty sure it's just air in the system. Of course the running water may be a prelude to the car exploding or something, but we'll cross this bridge when we come to it!
What a great attitude! :D

Hope you're still enjoying it as much :)

Tigger.

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Great positive post Ian... :biggrin:

The rushing noise you are hearing probably sounds like it is coming from the cubby somewhere????
It is infact the cooling system and the next time you are at the dealer for a service tell them about it and they will bleed the system and no more noise......

Hope you have many more happy miles in your mini....

oh and by the way Welcome to mini2

WD

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice one! :D

Heres to hoping mine doesnt now have to go back until its 1st service :p One question though, I can understand ignoring the dash rattles etc, ive learnt to do that after 4 MINIs,
God all four had rattles :eek:

The other car we have is a focus 08 plate top of the range kind of thing. The dash has never squeaked, its not on run flats but sounds solid over any road surface. The older Honda Civic never squeaked and it was eight years old when i swaped it for the mini coop.....:hmph:

But the Mini is miles more fun to drive and unless I go looking for it does not annoy me. It comes and goes………

1 - 11 of 11 Posts