MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the worst luck with tyres. I found a piece of metal in my ZM coupe's rear about 5 months ago, which was the 6th puncture incident in about 4 years.

This morning I found a bolt! in my front right run flat 16" 195/55.

What's the consensus of opinion, repair or replace? and replace how many? I hate the run-flats, and was planning to replace them soon, but I'm supposed to be getting the extra 10 ponies at JCW tomorrow so don't really want to spend unecesarily.

I remember someone on here had non run flats up front and run flats on the back. Is this o.k? Obviously all the garages i've called are trying to say that

a) you can't replace run flats with non :rolleyes:
b) you have to replace all 4 :rolleyes:

Any advice much appreciated.
 

Attachments

·
www.totalmini*****
Joined
·
15,256 Posts
You may be able to get that repaired, I'd go down the local tyre shop and ask them ;)

As for ditching runflats.....

LOADS of people have dumped their RF's and gone for proper rubber. I ran Eagle F1's on the just rear for 4 months while I toasted my front RF's. Now got F1's all round :cool: Dealerships will tell you all kinds of blag to get you to buy their overpriced RF's ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that.

So far, 2 "no we can't repair" and the only decent tyre I can find is P zero's. I really prefer Eagle F1's though.

Back to the phone...
 

·
www.totalmini*****
Joined
·
15,256 Posts
Kwik Fit mobile fitted mine at my office for £115 a corner, and did a good job too.

I'm running 215/40 on my 17" S spokes. I know the RF's are 205/45 but F1's don't come in that size. I have had no problems at all with them. Great tyres :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got 16"'s x lites, and no-one seems to hold stock of 205/50 F1's :(

I've just called Kwik fitt, who said they'd repair. Might go for that for now, and get some F1's when I can...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Raify said:
I've got 16"'s x lites, and no-one seems to hold stock of 205/50 F1's :(

I've just called Kwik fitt, who said they'd repair. Might go for that for now, and get some F1's when I can...
Wierd, every tyre place I phoned had 205 50 16 F1s.
Wonder if it's a regional thing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

bolt is too big to repair according to Kwik fitt, that leaves me with:

a) replace 1 run flat (no way!)

b) replace 2 fronts with Non, but still can't find Eagle's!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ButtonIt said:
Nice one! thanks for that. I've found a couple more tyre people who are completely cool with removing run-flats. Unfortunately still no F1's

My choice today is Pzero's or Conti Premium contacts... Wish I had more time, but I've got to get it sorted today, I'm supposed to be at work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got Pzero's in the end. a little annoyed I couldn't find F1's, but I was on a stopwatch.

Got the usual bollox from the garage, saying you can't change the size, can't use non run flats etc etc etc. I just said, you can put whatever disclaimer you like on the invoice, just give me some tyres.

Even though the tyres haven't bedded in yet, they already feel better on wet roads!
 

·
www.totalmini*****
Joined
·
15,256 Posts
Thinking back, not many people carried a stock of F1's in the size I wanted. I had to order them, it only took a couple of days though. Something to bear in mind for the future I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Raify said:
I am having the worst luck with tyres. I found a piece of metal in my ZM coupe's rear about 5 months ago, which was the 6th puncture incident in about 4 years.

This morning I found a bolt! in my front right run flat 16" 195/55.

What's the consensus of opinion, repair or replace? and replace how many? I hate the run-flats, and was planning to replace them soon, but I'm supposed to be getting the extra 10 ponies at JCW tomorrow so don't really want to spend unecesarily.

I remember someone on here had non run flats up front and run flats on the back. Is this o.k? Obviously all the garages i've called are trying to say that

a) you can't replace run flats with non :rolleyes:
b) you have to replace all 4 :rolleyes:

Any advice much appreciated.
You could always buy a couple of hundred extra bolts and screw them into the tyres to make studded tyres for winter driving :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Well, like everyones entitled to their like own opinion man..

Raify,
In the same tire predicament... Here in the US went to a local tire vendor with the exact tire config i wanted. They had them in stock and then the guy told me they wouldnt fit my car. I took his advice (always a bad idea) and got Riken Raptors installed. These tires appear to be only used by Ford MUstand owners that want a cheap tire to smoke up. I am going back this week to get the Yokohamas that i originally wanted in the size he said would not fit put on. One good thing is the 30 day test drive guarantee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mr.X. said:
Raify,
I am going back this week to get the Yokohamas that i originally wanted in the size he said would not fit put on. One good thing is the 30 day test drive guarantee.
Good job you're in the States, if you didn't like some tyres in the UK and tried to return them, they'd either laugh, or try and beat the crap out of you!

It is really frustrating, all the bull****e that is spouted concerning these tyres.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Raify said:
Got Pzero's in the end. a little annoyed I couldn't find F1's, but I was on a stopwatch.

Got the usual bollox from the garage, saying you can't change the size, can't use non run flats etc etc etc. I just said, you can put whatever disclaimer you like on the invoice, just give me some tyres.

Even though the tyres haven't bedded in yet, they already feel better on wet roads!

Did you keep the RF's on the rear or change all round? I basically have the same problem as you big nail in th efront off side, but still lots of life in the rears

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
McprS said:
Did you keep the RF's on the rear or change all round? I basically have the same problem as you big nail in th efront off side, but still lots of life in the rears

Thanks
I still have the RF's on the rear, couldn't be bothered to change them right away. I damp conditions, it makes it a little more slippery at the back (probably just emphasised due to higher grip at the front). In due course I'll get round to changing the rears, but it's not that urgent. I wouldn't worry too much about it in the short term.

I had an idea of swapping the RF's to the front, doing them in on a track day and then buying a new set. That might be a fun way of getting rid of them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Thanks for the quick response,

1 more question

am I right in saying the new tyres you put on are 205/50's ie 0.5 cm smaller than the RFs? If so how does that look on the car I guess you lose 1 cm (ie 0.5 top and bottom) in wheel/tyre size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
McprS said:
Thanks for the quick response,

1 more question

am I right in saying the new tyres you put on are 205/50's ie 0.5 cm smaller than the RFs? If so how does that look on the car I guess you lose 1 cm (ie 0.5 top and bottom) in wheel/tyre size.
no problem, I have this thread on instant alert, because of the original nightmare!

You can hardly notice any difference at all really. As soon as there's some daylight, I could take some pics with my phone if you like, but you'd be hard pushed to spot the different size....
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top