MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I could change from a supercharger to a turbo later on or if im stuck with the stock supercharger? The reason I ask is because I came across a website that is manufacturing mini turbo conversions that range from 200 to 400 hp an I just want to buy a mini cooper "S" and later upgrade to one of those turbos for 250hp but I just want to know if it can be done because the website says nothing of it.

heres a link toGerman Formula

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Twiggy said:
Does anyone know if I could change from a supercharger to a turbo later on or if im stuck with the stock supercharger? The reason I ask is because I came across a website that is manufacturing mini turbo conversions that range from 200 to 400 hp an I just want to buy a mini cooper "S" and later upgrade to one of those turbos for 250hp but I just want to know if it can be done because the website says nothing of it.

heres a link toGerman Formula
So I did read you right. :) In my opinion, buy a Cooper if you want to turbo charge it......

·
Registered
577 Posts
I doubt a turbo kit on a Cooper would work very well. I certainly wouldn't do it. The lower end would not last very long due to the increase in power, you would need a larger radiator to keep things cool and it is very doubtful the stock gearbox would hang together. Remember, the S has a Getrag 6-speed and the engine has been strengthened and modified with improved cooling and oil passages.

·
Registered
147 Posts
S engine vs Cooper

The S has piston cooling jets, an oil cooler, stronger valves, and a stonger 6 speed transmission. That said, the choice for upgrade would have to be the S, but I would be afraid of anything more than a little over 200HP from both a safety and reliablilty standpoint.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: S engine vs Cooper

scottgib said:
The S has piston cooling jets, an oil cooler, stronger valves, and a stonger 6 speed transmission. That said, the choice for upgrade would have to be the S, but I would be afraid of anything more than a little over 200HP from both a safety and reliablilty standpoint.
I would guess all of the above could be carried out to the Cooper, at a cost. Not quite sure why you'd dunp the compressor for a turbo. At the moment the intercooler is on top of the supercharger. Just seems like a crazy idea ,when with a bit of modification to the heads etc John Cooper can get 200bhp+ anyway. Seems a more logical route to reliable power.

·
M7SPEED SPONSORED MINI !
631 Posts
Hey Twiggy,

Have you found out any more about the Turbo ? What is their website ? Thanks......

·
Registered
597 Posts
Does anyone know if I could change from a supercharger to a turbo later on or if im stuck with the stock supercharger?
I talked to Mini-Madness a few weeks ago about this and they said its not possible due to the water pump and Supercharger being attached together. Aparently the supercharger is water cooled and attached to the waterpump. One pulley for the supercharger/waterpump.

With no Turbo lag and

163hp base
23-35hp chip depending on what type
10hp intake
20hp exhaust
20hp headers

Sub total 248 HP

Light weight SE37K volk racing 14 pounds a savings of 13 pounds each wheel or 52 pounds total(4x13) of spun energy weight savings.

This all means and this is an estimate so dont shoot me but around 270hp or 220 at the wheels. I personally dont think that 220 at the wheels (est) is anything to shake a stick at. Any more and we would be going through tranys and running gear. Trust me, Ive been there done that with a Subaru 2.5RS with an added turbo. Its not worth it unless you just have money to burn.
Remember removing weight is just like adding HP.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Anything is possible. The waterpump is built into the blower because the blower is in the waterpump's stock spot on the block. It might be as simple as replacing the blower with a stock Cooper waterpump and adding some extra plumbing.

All of the numbers you've stated are very optimistic and gains are usually not cumulative.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? :)

--
Cheese

·
M7SPEED SPONSORED MINI !
631 Posts
There is no way that car is making that much power.....not even close......we've been testing at the track with 4 Mini's and different mods and they don't pick up that much at all.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
minime s

There is no way that car is making that much power.....not even close......we've been testing at the track with 4 Mini's and different mods and they don't pick up that much at all.....
Remember that was an estimate. What do you think those mods would total? I got most of those numbers off folks web sites.

Chip:
Exhaust:
Intake
Headers:

14 pound rims:

I could really care less about the power, I am really interested in 0-60 times. Hopeing/Praying for high 5's but one turns into the other at some point.

·
Registered
597 Posts
macncheese,

For some reason I always catch of glimpse of your alias as mancheese! :) ohhh thats not a good vision.
:p

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
You are right on here, I dont know about you but 5k is about my limit. I have to find a way to get that sub 6 second 0-60 with that 5k.

Geeze a good turbo is more than 5k if its in a kit. If they had a kit.

:mad:

·
Registered
597 Posts
http://www.tjhsst.edu/~btonnese/

check out this provided by Grinder. If you do the math at the flywheel, HP is sure looks like 230 is achievable but who am I.... I dont even have my S yet, its stuck on the friggin dock.

Maybe I am dreaming because 230 would be plenty for me.

:(

Somone tell me this is realistic.

·
Registered
663 Posts
911ETR said:
http://www.tjhsst.edu/~btonnese/

check out this provided by Grinder. If you do the math at the flywheel, HP is sure looks like 230 is achievable but who am I.... I dont even have my S yet, its stuck on the friggin dock.

Maybe I am dreaming because 230 would be plenty for me.

:(

Somone tell me this is realistic.
Thanks for that site- now book marked! :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Grinder did a stand up job on that web page. He says in another post that he's going to keep it updated. So if you are looking for ultimate hp numbers we should be able to find it here.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
911ETR said:
macncheese,

For some reason I always catch of glimpse of your alias as mancheese! :) ohhh thats not a good vision.
:p

You are right on here, I dont know about you but 5k is about my limit. I have to find a way to get that sub 6 second 0-60 with that 5k.

Geeze a good turbo is more than 5k if its in a kit. If they had a kit.

:mad:
Good 15s with low profile tires and a nitrous kit. You're not the first to call me Man Cheese :(

--
Cheese

·
Registered
597 Posts
At this rate, by the year 2100 there will be five smart people on Earth, swallowed whole by more than 12 billion mouth-breathers incapable of understanding the binary exponentiation that swamped the Earth with their like."
Any Idea who the 5 people are? :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if you noticed, but on that HP Spreadsheet the big tuners seem have hit a 200 HP wall. I have believed that the Cooper S would mostly likely not be able to produce more than 200 crank hp with simple bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust, etc..). According to that sheet and the quoted HP numbers it appears that 200hp is as good as it gets, but what can you say an increase of almost 30+ hp is great for bolt-ons. I do not think that 230Hp will be attainable without raising the boost.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts