MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experienced the ABS yet ?

I applied my brake with hard pressure over manhole covers and on ice (when it was icey) and the brakes sounded and felt like brittle pasta, very fragile.

Is this normal for ABS ?
Is it the brakes gripping, releasing, gripping, releasing really quickly that gives this effect ?

Does anybody know how ABS works ?

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
It does feel weird, I got a shock the first time I hit ABS. But that is normal, the important thing is not to take your foot off, keep it pressed.

LMB:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
KAS said:
Has anybody experienced the ABS yet ?

I applied my brake with hard pressure over manhole covers and on ice (when it was icey) and the brakes sounded and felt like brittle pasta, very fragile.

Is this normal for ABS ?
Is it the brakes gripping, releasing, gripping, releasing really quickly that gives this effect ?

Does anybody know how ABS works ?
You don't need any special conditions to try ABS - it's effective to prevent a skid on dry road as well as a slippery one. To experience it just find a safe place to practice an emergency stop from about 30 mph or so, apply the brakes very hard (as in a full panic stop) and you'll probably engage the ABS.

Yes it is the "brakes gripping, releasing, gripping, releasing really quickly that gives this effect". ABS works by a sensor detecting when a wheel is locked and skidding by comparing the speed of all 4 wheels. If one or more wheels are not spinning as fast as the others, on the locked wheel(s) the ABS system will gently (but almost instantaneously) release brake pressure to the wheel and allow it to brake the car normally without skidding. The pulses you feel through the brake pedal are the result of this process happening many times each second and on the different wheels of the car.

Of course one of the big advantages with ABS is that a driver can brake hard and steer around an obstacle without going into a spin during panic braking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts