MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
R53 2005 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Brand spanking new member and first time I have worked on a mini today. The other half’s new toy. I’m more into old motors and tractors but I’ll have a go at fixing anything.

the problems is. I have replaced the passenger side wheel bearing on What I believe Is an R53 a 2005 hatch back and the abs light is now on.
I gave the hub carrier a good clean with a wire wheel on a drill to remove the rust before installing the new bearing.

it all went swimmingly apart from the poxy abs light coming on on the Center dash

and advice greatly appreciated

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
have you try'd driving it for 100 yrds see if it goes out,

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s driving no problem, drove it about 15 miles. It’s just the light that’s on
I had similar problem on my 2004 R52. ABS sensor are all too common fault and pretty fragile. Hope you didn’t go overboard with the wire wheel…
You’ll need the codes read to determine fault and where, but pretty sure it’s abs sensor needs checked/changed. The latter being a nightmare…….
I changed out both front hubs and sensors but had trifecta fault for months until I found wiring fault.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where was the wiring fault?
Found it near the bulkhead behind abs pump. Wiring loom had been rubbing on edge of be plastic bulkhead trim but could not see it until I peeled back the insulation.
Heavy red cable covered in green corrosion and snapped on contact. Could not communicate with ABS unit at all until repaired, fault lights gone….

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you, that is a very useful picture. How on earth (excuse the pun) did you manage to make a repair in that position?
There was a little slack in loom, just enough to clean it up and re-solder.
Tin foil inbetween wires to prevent burning them was not pretty or professional but worked. No bother since 🤞🤞

1 - 11 of 11 Posts