MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a new Mini S this week and want to know if anyone had an good experiances with dealers swaping parts. I am not to keen on the factory wheel set that comes with my Mini and would like to perform and upgrade. Do dealers typically do discount/trade in value for wheel sets?

Thanks,
cagemonkey

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Are you getting different OEM wheels? Or are you going aftermarket? I would bet either way you will do best to just buy your new wheels and sell your "old" wheels to someone else.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Car dealers probably won't pay you anything near what you might receive by selling the parts yourself.

I use EBay to sell car parts, it's absolutely the best. Sometimes, folks will pay you a lot more than the retail value, strange but true.

Car dealers must buy stuff (including traded-in cars) at wholesale or less in order to sell it at a profit. They're not going to give you anything near the true, retail value on anything, as a general rule.

Forget the dealer as a source for sales, sell it yourself! And NEVER trade a car in on a newer one! You'll make a whole lot more money that way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My dealer - Towne MINI in Buffalo NY - does do this for sets of wheels. The reason I know this is that I just got a fantastic deal on a set of OEM alloy wheels for my MCSC. I wanted another set of wheels with Snow tires for the winter season up here in Western NY and the dealer uses these "swapped" wheels from other customers to make up tire and wheel packages. at the price that I got these for, the tires were basically free! and it means that I have a set of alloys for the winter (17 inch S-Lites) rather than boring steel wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe you can help me...

Hi,

You seem to know a lot about parts. I just got a Mini Cooper S and really want to put some bumpers on the back. As you probably know, bumpers are not a factory option on the Cooper S. Any suggestions on how to do this? I live in NYC.

Thanks a lot!

vagt6 said:
Car dealers probably won't pay you anything near what you might receive by selling the parts yourself.

I use EBay to sell car parts, it's absolutely the best. Sometimes, folks will pay you a lot more than the retail value, strange but true.

Car dealers must buy stuff (including traded-in cars) at wholesale or less in order to sell it at a profit. They're not going to give you anything near the true, retail value on anything, as a general rule.

Forget the dealer as a source for sales, sell it yourself! And NEVER trade a car in on a newer one! You'll make a whole lot more money that way.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You may be a bit more specific about the bumpers. The MINI is manufactured with integal rear and front "bumpers", so I'm not sure what kind you're looking for.

Bumpers? :confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
bigyin,
Out of interest, how much did you pay for the S-lites (if you don't mind divulging). We just picked up our MCS from Towne on Friday and I'm toying with the idea of getting another set of OEM wheels for the Rochester NY winter.

Did they give you any other freebies/goodies ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts