MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I go about on doing this? I've tried searching but most people type sub and you cant search on that, sorry.

Apreciate any help I can get, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Do you have wave or boost?
You could add a powered under seat sub (clarion)
or an amp & a bass box (custom ones available)
bassically you need an amp with high level input (Kenwood)
This attaches to the rear speaker wires.

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mikeythemini said:
I have boost, as stated in topic. ;)

I have a bass, with a filter, no amp for now, this is a free setup i got and i just wanted to try it out. So i should just put it on th rearspeakercabels? left? right? or are there just one? bare with me im a beginner at this stuff.

Will it be able to power it without an amp? it's 8".

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mikeythemini said:
Didn't spot boost in the title DOH
Don't connect a sub direct to the factory cables, it should be run off e seperate amp
why?

and if i do run through a seperate amp, where do i connect the amp? and how?

thanks mikey, appreciate your help!

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
fj0 said:
why?

and if i do run through a seperate amp, where do i connect the amp? and how?

thanks mikey, appreciate your help!
I take it you've never done this huh? Its not too difficult but will require some patience and a lot of mucking with.

The easiest way to do it is to get a powered sub. i like the bazooka bass tubes. got my GF one, and it rocked nicely for a 10".

But if you're on the road to become an audiophile, then lets go over the basics:

To answer your question, the amp is powered from your battery (in your trunk).
so you'll need to find a good place to put it. under your seat is a good option.
you'll need all the proper cables too. like a 4 or 8 guage power cable running from your batter to the amp. This cable will send power from the battery to make the speaker "louder".

Obviously, you'll need a good amp. the golden rule is that if you pay more than $1 / watt, you're in good. i had a phoenix gold 2 channel 300 watt amp that kicked the crap out of my friends (crap brand) 500 watt amp. This goes inline with the quality of the product. do a lot of homework on this and try not to skimp out. If you want quality, you have to pay for it. its not just the sub that makes your stereo, its also your amp. Trust me, ive gone through many.

speaker cables that run from your amp to the speakers. This will send the signal (the bass) to the speaker.

A subwoofer (duh). again, make sure you do some homework to get what you want from it. dont let your local car stereo dealer push something you dont like. I've had the phoenix gold x? series one where the cone was carbon fiber. it produced really tight bass but couldnt output the boomy bass. Im a big fan of JL Audio, its a bit over priced, but all round good speaker. At least for the subs. not a fan of the JL components though.

And theres your basic elements. Amp, Sub and Cables.

Little things you'll need:
you'll also need cables that run from your deck to the amp. Since its a factory one, you can splice it, assuming its not the HK system. i hear upgrading the HK system is a pain... and will result in removing all the HK stuff and going all after market.
Theres a thread on this on this forum somewhere.

if you dont have tools either, you'll probably need, a screw driver, a crimper and crimps, probably a drill, depending on where and how you want to mount your amp. oh and probably a few spare fuses just in case you cross wires or something.

Theres a lot of sites out there that has tutorials on how you should do things. good luck, Its pretty fun (and frustrating).

Good luck

·
"Upside down face"
208 Posts
mikeythemini said:
Mike i'm intrested in the clarion sub you got any pictures or prices?

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MyWiniCooper said:
I take it you've never done this huh? Its not too difficult but will require some patience and a lot of mucking with.

The easiest way to do it is to get a powered sub. i like the bazooka bass tubes. got my GF one, and it rocked nicely for a 10".

But if you're on the road to become an audiophile, then lets go over the basics:

To answer your question, the amp is powered from your battery (in your trunk).
so you'll need to find a good place to put it. under your seat is a good option.
you'll need all the proper cables too. like a 4 or 8 guage power cable running from your batter to the amp. This cable will send power from the battery to make the speaker "louder".

Obviously, you'll need a good amp. the golden rule is that if you pay more than $1 / watt, you're in good. i had a phoenix gold 2 channel 300 watt amp that kicked the crap out of my friends (crap brand) 500 watt amp. This goes inline with the quality of the product. do a lot of homework on this and try not to skimp out. If you want quality, you have to pay for it. its not just the sub that makes your stereo, its also your amp. Trust me, ive gone through many.

speaker cables that run from your amp to the speakers. This will send the signal (the bass) to the speaker.

A subwoofer (duh). again, make sure you do some homework to get what you want from it. dont let your local car stereo dealer push something you dont like. I've had the phoenix gold x? series one where the cone was carbon fiber. it produced really tight bass but couldnt output the boomy bass. Im a big fan of JL Audio, its a bit over priced, but all round good speaker. At least for the subs. not a fan of the JL components though.

And theres your basic elements. Amp, Sub and Cables.

Little things you'll need:
you'll also need cables that run from your deck to the amp. Since its a factory one, you can splice it, assuming its not the HK system. i hear upgrading the HK system is a pain... and will result in removing all the HK stuff and going all after market.
Theres a thread on this on this forum somewhere.

if you dont have tools either, you'll probably need, a screw driver, a crimper and crimps, probably a drill, depending on where and how you want to mount your amp. oh and probably a few spare fuses just in case you cross wires or something.

Theres a lot of sites out there that has tutorials on how you should do things. good luck, Its pretty fun (and frustrating).

Good luck
Magnifiicant post!

But still, if I just want to try this thing out, because i got it for free, and wouldnt mind trying it out. Will it be possible? And how would I connect it to the stock boost HU? is there a harness or something i need?

I'm sorry for my pretty stupid questions, bare with me, thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.