MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here. I have been contemplating getting a mini cooper s JCW GP but there is one tiny problem. I have a baby on the way and though this is not my primary car I would like to be able to carry the baby once in a blue moon and therefore would like to know if it is possible to add a rear seat to the Mini GP.

If there is a way to add a rear seat I will buy the GP the second I find one! Can the dealer install a rear seat maybe? I know they sell a "delete kit"....

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew this would actually happen but I had to ask. I love the GP and obviously this rear seat addition would be a temporary thing.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently drive a Z3 M Coupe and love the car but need to have a more practical car with rear seats.... If I am unable to add the seats (temporarily) to the GP I would end up buying a 05-06 MS JCW.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I knew this would actually happen but I had to ask. I love the GP and obviously this rear seat addition would be a temporary thing.....
No it wouldn't.

As you'd have to get all the fittings put in, the seat belts, then get the car re-classified and certified as a 4 seater, get your insurance company to agree all this is done correctly as they'd be liable if there was an accident etc...

You either buy a 2 seater or a 4 seater, end of;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrigth fair enough.... I figured it might be a bit simpler than that and that the GP already came with all of the locations for the straps and mounting of the seats as the rest of the Minis but that makes sense on a special car!
I guess I will actively start looking for an 05 - 06 JCW Mini in the LA area....

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Alrigth fair enough.... I figured it might be a bit simpler than that and that the GP already came with all of the locations for the straps and mounting of the seats as the rest of the Minis but that makes sense on a special car!
I guess I will actively start looking for an 05 - 06 JCW Mini in the LA area....

The GP is missing some internal body work so there little chance of being able to do this. The mount points for the rear seats are not on the car - and would take refabricating to get fitted. I was pretty sure someone had done this though?

Would be hugely expensive and might cause other issues like type approval and insurance issues.

Would be easier to buy a regular R53, get it repainted GP colours and source the extra bits like bumpers/spoilers/wings etc probably, and have a 'looky-likey' rather than the real thing. This has been done also but brings greater derision from GP owners.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts