MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 MCS with Xenons and I'm planning to drive through Europe in a couple of weeks and so I need to ensure I don't blind any of our European chums - and I imagine a wrongly aligned Xenon could quite literally do that! :eek:

I've done a search and a few people have suggested that this is possible to switch the lights on the 2005 models

So has anyone managed to do this?? The handbook says it can be done but it doesn't say how - probably an expensive trip to the dealer that I don't have time (or money) for!!

If it can't be done does anyone have any experience of the 'gaffer tape method'? Will it really melt???

·
MINI2 Newbie
97 Posts
cozzers said:
I've got a 2005 MCS with Xenons and I'm planning to drive through Europe in a couple of weeks and so I need to ensure I don't blind any of our European chums - and I imagine a wrongly aligned Xenon could quite literally do that! :eek:

I've done a search and a few people have suggested that this is possible to switch the lights on the 2005 models

So has anyone managed to do this?? The handbook says it can be done but it doesn't say how - probably an expensive trip to the dealer that I don't have time (or money) for!!

If it can't be done does anyone have any experience of the 'gaffer tape method'? Will it really melt???

If you have any other work that the dealer needs to do on your car, when you bring it in they would probably do it for free!
;) ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I finally got the answer out of my dealer (backed by MINI UK) on this one.

The European cars have the switch on the back of the lights to switch them. The UK cars (or up to 04 anyway) don't have the switch. There was talk of doing it but I don't know if it ever happened.

The options you have:
1) Take the car to the dealer - they will swap the headlights round for you (This was my dealers first option to me. I told him to get stuffed)
2) Use the tape method. I bought the things in Halfords and they made no difference, but then it may be I didn't put them on right. They seem to suggest they would work on a Mini with xenons.

However, first up lift the bonnet, and have a look. If you see a slide switch on the back of the xenon, then thats the one. If not, they didn't put it on the 05 cars.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this, I'll PM mjg315q & see what they have to say.

I'm convinced now that it is possible somehow because the handbook for my 2003 MC, states that the only way to do it is by sticking tape on the lights and my 2005 MCS handbook say that the switch is possible.....somehow!!!!

Will let you know how i get on :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
What about the normal ones?

What about on standard headlights??

Do these need to go to dealers for changing when going to the continant??...or do the standard have a switch somewhere??

R

·
Registered
125 Posts
Has anybody figured this out on the 2005 xenons?
I'm off to Switzerland on Boxing day, and really could do without a trip to the dealers. I also figured that if the dealers changed the lights, I wouldn't be able to drive to the tunnel in the early hours without blinding everybody here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.