Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have just ordered my first Mini - Cooper D obviously - with the following spec:

Lightning Blue
Black roof and mirror caps
Pepper Pack
DAB digital radio (which we all should be ordering now!)
Exterior mirror pack
White indicator lenses
Sports leather steering wheel with multi-function

The car is mainly going to be used for a drive to the station most days (as I've just gone back to commuting into London again) plus drives off to meetings outside London, etc. and other trips where all family isn't travelling.

Having been reading this forum though, I've been amazed as the massive spec people seem to be ordering. Am I missing something I need from the spec above?

I decided to keep the standard wheels as people seem to think they give a better ride, and I'm not that fussed about leather in a car. Was going to order the Blue colour scheme inside but the dealer didn't think it went with Lightning Blue exterior.

Any advice welcomed before I have to finalise my options, which will probably be next day or so as car expected end of month.

Thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There might be a case for the Chilli pack instead of Pepper in terms of resale value but it includes things that are hardly essential on a commute.

But I would go for the wood wheel that includes MFSW controls instead of the sport leather one - simply because I think it looks and feels better.

And folding mirrors are useful in car parks.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Does the Chili really improve the resale value that much over the Pepper?
It costs more to buy, but gets more back come resale time, so it's debatable whether it's really worth the extra, especially if most of the extra options aren't that desirable for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It costs more to buy, but gets more back come resale time, so it's debatable whether it's really worth the extra, especially if most of the extra options aren't that desirable for you.
OK, thanks. You're right - I'm not really bothered about the Chili options.

By the way, I left off 'Auto Air Conditioning' from my list at the top.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Think the packs are a good idea but you know the Dealers will turn and say it’s a lower trade-in as its non Chili and I know I’ve left two cars on the lot as even with them being spot on look wise in that its Silver, Black roof and mirrors they have Pepper Packs on them… I really should go find what is in the packs again…………

I was more alarmed at the reading about the lights being so poor on the Mini’s but its £400 for the upgrade.

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
your spec is very similar to mine - i went for pepper only too but i added a sunroof which i would say is not really an essential but i wanted one just for the "airyness"! i also specced MFSW and decided later to add on the bluetooth as i have an ipod and it makes the connection easier as well as being able to make and receive calls while in the car - i think as the police crack down more on this it will become a quite desirable add on to the car.

·
MINI2 all the time!!
171 Posts
Hi:D, i think the spec sounds good, although i would DEFINETLY consider changing the standard 15 inch spooler alloys to the 15 inch rotator spoke ones, as they look bigger and alot nicer;), yet you still get really good ride and handling, plus its just a few quid upgrade.

I could talk forever about the spec, but i would also say go for the blue colourline as it looks great with the LB exterior and also a nicer dash, maybe fluid silver as an upgrade because again looks alot nicer than standard.;):D

Anyway i will shut up now and let ya decide! lol.:eek:

Mike:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi:D, i think the spec sounds good, although i would DEFINETLY consider changing the standard 15 inch spooler alloys to the 15 inch rotator spoke ones, as they look bigger and alot nicer;), yet you still get really good ride and handling, plus its just a few quid upgrade.

I could talk forever about the spec, but i would also say go for the blue colourline as it looks great with the LB exterior and also a nicer dash, maybe fluid silver as an upgrade because again looks alot nicer than standard.;):D

Anyway i will shut up now and let ya decide! lol.:eek:

Mike:D
Thanks. I actually emailed the dealer this morning asking about upgrading to the 15" Rotator wheels and also going for Fluid Silver but he said he wouldn't recommend it and it would delay delivery of the car (currently end of month). So I'm wondering if he's being truthful or just can't be bothered!

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
...as well as being able to make and receive calls while in the car - i think as the police crack down more on this it will become a quite desirable add on to the car.
Until it becomes illegal to talk on a mobile phone in the car even with a handsfree kit (Bluetooth or otherwise) when it just becomes something with no use that you paid extra for! :(

·
MINI2 all the time!!
171 Posts
Thanks. I actually emailed the dealer this morning asking about upgrading to the 15" Rotator wheels and also going for Fluid Silver but he said he wouldn't recommend it and it would delay delivery of the car (currently end of month). So I'm wondering if he's being truthful or just can't be bothered!

To be honest, i would go for the fluid silver dash as it does look alot better and at the end of the day its YOUR car not the dealers.;)

And another extra i thought of is the chrome line interior, it definetly makes the interior alot nicer and classier.:D

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Well my spec is even more basic:

Pepper White
Roof and mirror caps in body colour
Pepper Pack

To be fair I think it's enough. Bearing in mind the Mini interior is a funky and stylish interior anyway-

I ordered mine last week but haven't heard anything yet on delivery dates. Do dealers keep you up to date with build date etc?

·
MINI memories...
508 Posts
Bluetooth/USB is a great option - I love it. You also get the MFSW and therefore cruise-control, and an armrest!
I have the 15" Rotator Spoke alloys too. I really didn't want run-flat tyres.
I also recommend the Bi-Xenon headlamps. Expensive, yes, but much better night visability, and almost impossible to retro-fit.

Options like fluid silver trim you can fit later if you really must.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your help, guys. Much appreciated.

In the end I just changed the alloys to 'Rotator' 15" as they look much nicer than the standard ones.

Lots of other options I would have liked but couldn't really justify them when I'm mainly using the car to drive to the station, e.g. Bluetooth wouldn't be used that much. However, wanted MFSW as have had cruise control in my last 2 cars and couldn't live without it, as a speed limiter if nothing else!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Hi,

Have just ordered my first Mini - Cooper D obviously - with the following spec:

Lightning Blue
Black roof and mirror caps
Pepper Pack
DAB digital radio (which we all should be ordering now!)
Exterior mirror pack
White indicator lenses

The car is mainly going to be used for a drive to the station most days
Even though most people order the CHILLI pack, spec sounds good to me - good colour combo choice BTW :cool: You might want to also consider the hifi upgrade to get more out of the DAB though ;)

However, if you are not doing many miles - do you need the diesel? A lot of extra cash if you are mainly sitting on the train.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even though most people order the CHILLI pack, spec sounds good to me - good colour combo choice BTW :cool: You might want to also consider the hifi upgrade to get more out of the DAB though ;)

However, if you are not doing many miles - do you need the diesel? A lot of extra cash if you are mainly sitting on the train.
I'm getting the D for a number of reasons - mostly because it's such a low emission car, but also because I like driving diesels and there are economic benefits, e.g. road tax, the fact my railway station gives half price parking to low emission cars and another reason was because it would be exempt from the congestion charge, until Brain-dead Boris stuck his oar in!

Anyway, I suspect the car will be used more than just for station driving. I will have meetings outside London at least one day a week, and my wife will also use it for long journeys where it's just her, so we'll get more benefit from the fuel economy.

I'm a bit owrried about the comments re the standard hi-fi, especially after forking out £285 for the DAB tuner. Is it really that bad? Having just taken on the job of making sure everyone moves from analogue radio to digital I really had to go for the DAB option!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
OK morettat - sounds like you have it well worked out and are making the right choice.

I have not really heard the standard stereo, but it has been severely slagged on here by some. However, if you want the DAB to get access to more channels (5Live etc.) are are not after good sound quality you might be quite happy.

Why not go to the dealer with some CDs to compare then both?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts