MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Sporty Chic Driver
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow Mini Fanatics

I need some advice, quite quickly as I am due at the garage later! I have a Cooper S 2005. Which I have a few issues with and wondered what is acceptable and what isn't. Apart from my brakes that needed replacing last year and new tyres, which I accept is just wear and tear, let me know your thoughts on the following.

I have this year had to replace the thermostat as the temperature was going sky high, especially in traffic. Then my AC started making a noise, like a dry sounding noise. Then it got worse and worse and so I took her in to be checked. It appears my entire AC unit was about to blow up and I've had to have the electric fan replaced, AC drained and refilled, it also appears that the ventilator wasn't working properly on number 1 on the AC unit.

It also transpires that my transmission fluid needs draining and replacing, which I was told was an issue with mini anyway!!!!

So, for a brand new car that I brought in 2005 is it me or are these things that are going wrong before their time, so to speak. To me these are things that I would never dream of going wrong with a car this age.

The quote i've been given for the worst case scenario is 900 euros. Which is quite a bit of cash! But wondered if I had any sort of argument to get the cost down. Also if the transmission fluid is a problem that mini are aware of, can they not put something towards the payment on this?

Perhaps I am being a little silly or girlish, but wondered what others thoughts were and if anyone else had come across these problems so quickly?

Thanks

One girl and her Mini

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
First, as mentioned above, if you are out of warranty then steer clear of the dealer. They will charge you three times what it will cost you at a local mechanic.

On the other bits, I am a little confused. You state that you are going to the garage for repairs but the ones that you have listed have been completed already other than the transmission fluid. It is a car and things can happen over time. If the car overheated it could affect the other components listed. Did you pay for this or did you get it taken care of under warranty?

Being that it is 2008 and you bought the car in 2005, I don't think that you came across them quickly but I do think that they are warranty issues unless you have sat on them too long.

·
The Sporty Chic Driver
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to clarify, the thermostat I've had replaced a few months back. The transmission fluid and the A/C issues are being fixed as I type.

Unfortunately, my warranty ran out 2 months ago! Actually you have to laugh I got my thermostat fixed under the warranty but the labour costs were more than the part, so it cost me a fortune anyway!

I will in future take it to a garage (when I find one) rather than BMW. But did you say it was normal for these things to go wrong after 3 years?

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
If your car overheated, it could cause problems with the A/C. The tranny fluid is a bit odd though. What was the reason for the wanting to change it? That one sounds excessive to me. A/C compressors are not cheap nor easy to swap so it will cost a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts