MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have a 2011 plate Mini One D 1.6 and my Mini dealership has diagnosed faulty glow plugs & want to charge an arm and two legs for the work. I have decided to replace all four of them myself and have bought a set of four Bosch glow plugs for £40 (a huge saving on the dealership price, so feeling rather chuffed). I am fairly proficient with car mechanics and am prepared to try most things. I was rather hoping for a YouTube video which could help, but no such luck ?. Would be grateful if any of your lovely fellas (or gals) on her can give me a few tips? Are the glow plugs east to locate/accessible & will I have to remove any other parts to access them? Maybe a brief description on how to find them? Any tips on removing them (I've heard they can snap)? Any special tools I might require (I have a socket set and a torque wrench)? I think I read somewhere to spray WD40(?) on them a day before, is that right? Any particular things to look out for? This is my first posting on here (hopefully the first of many) so please go easy on me!!! Thanks Daniella xxx ;)

· Registered
13,636 Posts
below link is on a 3 series but is same on the mini ie remove the inlet manifold to gain access, i try and remove the inlet manifold very last as to be able to run car up to hot before removing them i have snapped them off more times with a cold engine than a hot engine,,, also if can loan a impact gun that has 3 settings on power ie have a dewalt one and start on number 1 for a few minutes if dont move try number 2 for 3 minutes they should go out without snapping i've been doing them like this for years now and not snap any,, if have not got a impact gun use a 1/4 drive socket set and t-bar possible to tap the t-bar with hammer at same time as applying force to unscrew them,,, fail all this a heat gun pointed at the glow plug area and some ice on the hot glowplug can help ie cold they retract a tab,
i also use stuff called deep creep made by seafoam company spray them a week before let soak link below

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.