MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have browsed around quite a lot of threads and have decided to go for non runflats. I have a 57 Cooper D (Chili) with the standard 16" bridge spoke rims fitted with Dunlop 195/55/R16's.

Currently there is substantial tyre "noise" at speed and cornering is a little jumpy on any kind of uneven surface, from what I've read this is primarily due to the runflats thick tyre wall not giving the absorbtion of normal tyres.

If I go for non runflats, any particular tyres to go for? Also I presume I don't have to do anything daft like change the rims?

What happens to the runflat indicator? Do I need to get it disabled?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I am in the same position. Looking to replace my runflats on the same size wheels.

Not to threadjack, but I am interested in non runflat tyres for these rims but NOT oversized, there is a lot of advice about going for larger tyres but then it complicates the insurance and speedo readings. I am not sure those downsides are worth it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I am in the same position. Looking to replace my runflats on the same size wheels.

Not to threadjack, but I am interested in non runflat tyres for these rims but NOT oversized, there is a lot of advice about going for larger tyres but then it complicates the insurance and speedo readings. I am not sure those downsides are worth it?

Thanks,
Likewise, I'd rather keep the same size...

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Press and hold the button with the ignition on. The indicator works whether you have runflats or proper tyres.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I also have 16" bridge spoke alloys with Goodyear 195/55R16 Excellence (not!) runflats and I also have the factory fitted space saver wheel as I intend to switch to normal tyres.
According to my calculations 215/50R16 is an EXACT match in terms of circumference and therefore will not affect the speedo or DSC. You can also get Bridgestone Potenza RE010 tyres in this size. Has anyone fitted 215/50R16 tyres to their Mini and are there any clearance issues with the extra width?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts