MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
flashingMINI's
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just got myself a March 2003 MINI Cooper S in BRG.

Looks like its been well looked after but, it does need a little TLC.

Can anyone give me a list of things that I should do to improve/maintain/modify things for the better?

Example.. "put felt tape around edge of door cards to stop rattles"

thanks in advance :smile:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Take a look at the faults and fixes page on this forum. For every rattle and squeak there is an answer of how to fix it on there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Go through the car with a fine tooth comb....

Check tyres & pressures, open bonnet and check all levels, coolants, look for any leaks, get oil, filter and plugs changed for high quality items, look at the discs & pads and see if they need changing. Grease all hinges carefully, grease bonnet catches, check all lights work....

And then clean it from top to bottom!

Then enjoy...

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
If it needs new tyres DON'T fit runflats, I had 2 punctures in the first 6 months of ownership the first cost me £160 for one replacement runflat because runflats cannot be repaired.

The second time round i thought "Eff it", paid up £310 for 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 fitted and drove out. Within 5 miles I'd pretty much soiled myself at how much better the car handled and low much nice the ride was. The cars quicker in the wet than what it used to be in the dry!! Oh and if i get a small puncture (like before) it's around £30 if that for a repair :D

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
If it needs new tyres DON'T fit runflats, I had 2 punctures in the first 6 months of ownership the first cost me £160 for one replacement runflat because runflats cannot be repaired.
They can be repaired, it just depends where the puncture is ;)

I've got one on the car at the moment which got a puncture in the middle of the tread within a week of being put on, and it was plugged, and I've had no problems with it since, so if you want to stick with RFs, do :)

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Always nice to have a fresh charger belt on as it's not something thats routinely changed. I had mine changed a few months after buying (and a reduced pulley for more power ;) ). Going to change it in the next few months been on there around 10/12k.

The gears in my charger sounded a bit rattly when idling, but since the pulley change (faster idle) it's not noticeable now. I took off my intercooler and flushed some acetone through it, it went in clear and came out black because of the oil in there. Helps the intercooler perform better not having any oil in it! We have the preface charger (facelift had teflon rotors) so can wear sooner but mines been ok running 16psi (standard is around 10-11psi) for the last 10/12k of thrashing :D

If the handling / torque steer seems to be a bit off get your front wishbone bushes checked, mine were shot at 30k. Replaced with poly bushes and the car is now a go kart!

Mines a late preface 2003 car btw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts