MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mini R53 Checkmate 2005
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking some advise, Car failed Mot on both front shocks as they are leaking I usually use RealOEM.com for reference for parts but have noticed that the Shocks and Coil Spring don't seem to be listed for my car. I'm concerned that i might have the wrong part no's (especially the coils)

From what I can make out (assuming I have the correct part nos) is Genuine Mini would cost £530 ish (£290 front and £240 Rear) or Sachs £470 ish I would like to retain a Standard Cooper S setup as I recall reading that its a good balance of performance and ride. Any advise would be apricated.

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,333 Posts
dealer needs to give you the spring part number from the spring table, based on spec,

Reactions: Deet27

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2004 54 plate, F56 Cooper S 64 plate.
140 Posts
Why not reuse the coils if they are not broken/damaged?
Bilstein B4 is a replacement for standard. I have them front and back on my R53, they work ok and are a lot cheaper than OE.
Easy to fit.

·
Registered
2005 convertible 6 speed mini cooper s
43 Posts
I also went with the bilstein b4 shock and strut with the stock coils, new strut mounts, and underator strut tower plates. The 110k mile replacement made a dramatic improvement in the ride of my 2005 mini cooper s. I highly recommend the b4's Bilstein as they are a very high quality shock upgrade from factory. I replaced all four corners together. Dramatic improvement and very reasonable cost! Now if i could just get this pesky convertible top to function properly :cool:

·
Registered
Mini R53 Checkmate 2005
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many Thanks for the help, Checked the springs today and they look in very good condition. Only a small piece of paint missing from each spring so reusable.

Will look into the Bilstein Shocks.

·
Registered
2005 convertible 6 speed mini cooper s
43 Posts
Many Thanks for the help, Checked the springs today and they look in very good condition. Only a small piece of paint missing from each spring so reusable.

Will look into the Bilstein Shocks.
I got mine thru rockauto.com. They had the best price that i could find. Let us know your thoughts after the install and a few hundred miles!

·
Registered
Mini R53 Checkmate 2005
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got mine thru rockauto.com. They had the best price that i could find. Let us know your thoughts after the install and a few hundred miles!
Used Rockauto.com loads of times over the years, unfortunately live in the UK and bulkier items postage a bit high but smaller items even with postage savings can be made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking some advise, Car failed Mot on both front shocks as they are leaking I usually use RealOEM.com for reference for parts but have noticed that the Shocks and Coil Spring don't seem to be listed for my car. I'm concerned that i might have the wrong part no's (especially the coils)

From what I can make out (assuming I have the correct part nos) is Genuine Mini would cost £530 ish (£290 front and £240 Rear) or Sachs £470 ish I would like to retain a Standard Cooper S setup as I recall reading that its a good balance of performance and ride. Any advise would be apricated.
Check out Monroe QuickStruts. They come as an integrated unit (coils installed). I use them on my 2004 S and they provide a nice ride and good handling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you only have strut leaks just change the struts. No need to change the coils they last for ever. 1 strut is around 100€ best are Bilstein but Monroe or a bit less Sachs will be ok.
If in doubt about correct part get you VIN No. and contact misterauto.com very helpful 👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts