MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just had Aerokit fitted by Dealers before we collected car, i washed the car today for the first time and upon close inspection of the Aerokit i noticed that,
a) rear of side skirts are not fitted very well against door post.
b)front of sideskirt where treadplate would normally attach seems to be flapping loose
c) rear bumber skirt above exhausts seems very fragile it will move in and out, would have thought there would have been a bracket to support it.
So if anyone has the Aerokit fitted is this the norm?if so thnk i will be visiting my dealer in the near future.
Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. We are going down to John Coopers in Worthing this week to get the Works kit fitted and we will ask them to check it out if it saves a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
dinnerlady said:
Hi all just had Aerokit fitted by Dealers before we collected car, i washed the car today for the first time and upon close inspection of the Aerokit i noticed that,
a) rear of side skirts are not fitted very well against door post.
b)front of sideskirt where treadplate would normally attach seems to be flapping loose
c) rear bumber skirt above exhausts seems very fragile it will move in and out, would have thought there would have been a bracket to support it.
So if anyone has the Aerokit fitted is this the norm?if so thnk i will be visiting my dealer in the near future.
Thanks
Damo's right about a & c :(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update after having works kit fitted got chatting and was told that there is a bracket to support rear bumper above the exhaust,also told that my front bumper had a number of fixing bolts missing and the sidelights had not been connected (JCW removes bumper to fit works badge etc and they fixed both,thanks JCW)
So waiting for dealer to ring to sort sills at the front (loose) and bracket above exhaust
think i might suggest they check rear bumper fixings as well(bloody well cost enough to fit it, very poor work by the dealer )

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update dealer agreed that sills need refitting and i got him the BMW part number for rear bumper bracket (51 12 0 152 925 @£5.11+ vat).
I actually went to another dealer we have used and looked at Aerokit already fitted on their demo and the bracket stops a lot of the bumper flex.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, we have just got our car back after having the sills refitted and the rear bumper bracket fitted, if anybody has the Aerokit without the bracket it is worth having it fitted as it stops a lot of the movement of the bumper above the exhausts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aerokit rear bumper bracket fitting

Just fitted the rear aerokit bumper and realised it came with the bracket afterwards. Does anyone know how this fits on? Does it go in the center like the old bumper because I can't see how it attaches to the aero bumper as there are no holes. Can someone please advise and maybe show me a pic of how it's supposed to be attached?

Thanks

Will

·
Still kickin' along
3,003 Posts
dinnerlady said:
Update dealer agreed that sills need refitting and i got him the BMW part number for rear bumper bracket (51 12 0 152 925 @£5.11+ vat).
I actually went to another dealer we have used and looked at Aerokit already fitted on their demo and the bracket stops a lot of the bumper flex.

Just stumbled upon this...I love the look of the aero kit, but it was really dissapointing to see how poorly it fit. And the flimsyness of the rear bumper was also substandard.....WHY OH WHY CAN'T BMW / MINI JUST DO THINGS PROPERLY?!?! It's like they did all this work to make an awesome car, and they've left it to the monkey's to look after it after it was developed.... :mad: :mad:

Nevertheless...dinnerlady, you're a winner...beacuse of that BMW part number! Thanks!!! :)

·
MINI2 Regular
297 Posts
Hey All,
yup I also experienced the rear bumper issue and spoke to three dealers who told me, after speaking to their service department, that the rear bumper is supposed to be loose and there is no bracket in the centre, then low and behold I found a garage that instantly informed me that there is a bracket missing and swiftly ordered it and fitted it today for me for free under warranty!
Very pleased I was too, and I'm now far more confident that my rear bumper won't crack in the middle at high speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt :D

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Is this bracket on Cooper AND S models or just the S? As I remember there central connection not being used as there was no where to attach it on the Aero bumper?

Not a big issue just when I get the S and buy the Aero kit, need to know if its the same thing for reference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the BMW aero kit fitted to my MCSC , even the look of the kit is excellent, the actual fitting and make up of it is pretty poor. I was amazed of how flimsy the rear bumper is (thanks to dinnerlady for the bracket details), I will going back to the dealer to have the bracket fitted. Also does anyone have any comments on the silver metal mesh stickers on the rear bumper. When I ordered the kit I wasn't aware they were stickers, now mine have started to peel away and look appalling. My dealer has stated 2-6 weeks leadtime for replacements, has anyone actually had metal mesh inserts fitted instead of these stickers.
cheers
nickw

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up my aero kit the weekend ready to fit tonight to my MC. I didn't know about the bracket to support the centre of the rear bumper but the dealer ordered for me anyway with the kit. I don't have the part number with me now but it cost £5.11 + VAT so I imagine its the same as the MCS. I will let you know tomorrow how the fitting went.

As for the mesh stickers, I have read a few messages about them pealing and bubbling which is not to good. I plan to replace the stickers with metal mesh at some point but I will save that job for another day.

Super-bob :indi:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Super-bob said:
I picked up my aero kit the weekend ready to fit tonight to my MC. I didn't know about the bracket to support the centre of the rear bumper but the dealer ordered for me anyway with the kit. I don't have the part number with me now but it cost £5.11 + VAT so I imagine its the same as the MCS. I will let you know tomorrow how the fitting went.

As for the mesh stickers, I have read a few messages about them pealing and bubbling which is not to good. I plan to replace the stickers with metal mesh at some point but I will save that job for another day.

Super-bob :indi:
And any news? Have you fitted the kit yet? Do you like it? was the bracked needed?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
thanks for this post, should be a sticky really as i again found i needed this bracket at the weekend as my kit was rather loose at the back, thanks again mini2 for this invaluable information

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
I bought the bracket with my kit for my Cooper - despite 2 of us looking for ages and scratching our heads - searching through m2 for the answer etc we couldn't work out how it went on - so it's sat in the garage!

Please can someone tell me what it attaches to on a Cooper?

TRhanks

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i know on the Cooper S there is a bracket up on top of the exhaust which is where i assume the bar will too, although not sure it is there on the cooper.

I verified the part number on Real OEM which shows it on the S

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.