MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am the proud new owner of a red/white MINI Cooper (Chili pack, red interior, white wheels, A/C + AST). I have already taken her to Paris and Disneyland where she pulled more crowds than ever. Four people made the trip in relative comfort.

Anyway, with the help of gazzaman I have fitted a SONY MD unit instead of the standard MiniDisc (which is now for sale - any offers?).

If you have audio boost and want to fit an aftermarket headunit you will need the following parts from Autoleads:

Fascia Panel (FP-06-05)
Car Harness Adaptor Lead for ISO radios (PC2-75-4)
And radio connector (PC5-101)

The best instructions for installation can be found coutesy of gazzaman on:

www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1247&highlight=stereo+fitting

All this info may be available on other posts but this brings it all together. Hope this is useful!

Happy MINI-ING and Merry XMas to all!

Malteser

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I don't know if the H/K system is out in the UK or not, but I have a question: will an aftermarket headunit work with the H/K system option? :confused: I've notice that the MD boost option is not available in the US, so I may get an aftermarket MD unit to work with the H/K system since I've read positive things of it. looking forward to any informative response...

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
more questions

Does the radio BOOST include uprated speakers or is it just the head unit??

Some many questions..so few answers:(

LMB;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some answers

Sorry. Do not know anything about the H/K system.:confused:

My understanding about the boost system is that it is an amplifier hardwired into the car (not exactly sure where - perhaps behind the dash) but certainly distinct from the head unit. The boost option also comes with upgraded speakers (ie not those supplied with the basic wave unit).:)

Malteser

·
MINIless MINI2 Master
883 Posts
Re: some answers

Malteser said:
Sorry. Do not know anything about the H/K system.:confused:

My understanding about the boost system is that it is an amplifier hardwired into the car (not exactly sure where - perhaps behind the dash) but certainly distinct from the head unit. The boost option also comes with upgraded speakers (ie not those supplied with the basic wave unit).:)
From what I've seen on this forum (as posted a long time ago so may not be searchable), the H/K system has an equaliser controlled by the BOOST head unit, so if you added a third party unit there would be at least no equaliser control. (But the rest of the H/K amplification may - in theory - be usable.) Presumably the equaliser is part of the H/K system external to the head unit?

One question not answered so far: if you fit a third party head unit to a BOOST-equipped car, does (or can) the new head unit make use of the additional amplification?

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
another question

Malteser said:
understanding about the boost system is that it is an amplifier hardwired into the car (not exactly sure where - perhaps behind the dash) but certainly distinct from the head unit. The boost option also comes with upgraded speakers (ie not those supplied with the basic wave unit
Malteser,

Do you know the spec upgraded speakers?

LMB:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Guys,
If you look back at early posts by IceMan, Gazza and myself...I also checked this out when I bought my car, with Mini UK direct...

Boost radio unit is just an upgraded head unit.
(Rumour has it that it may be an Alpine - The wave is a Philips)
There is no speaker upgrade with boost.
The connectors which come with the Wave unit are easier to adapt for your own head unit.

Regarding the H/K system - I am a little vague on this one, but if my memory serves me right you get upgraded speakers. Not sure if there is a sep. amp or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts