MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of adding a set of aftermarket springs to my MCS to give it a slightly lower ride height along with some improvement to handling. There are a lot of them out there, but I'd like some feedback from those that have experience with aftermarket springs on their car to help make up my mind as to which set to purchase. I'm interested in some improvement in handling without a completely sacrificing ride quality.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
We have the blue H-Sport springs on our MCS. They lower the car an even 1 in. front and back, cost is around $225 for all four. The look and handling is very nice, ride is still fine, overall we are very satisfied with them. We have had them on for about 20k miles.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I dont know if you get those in USA but i would not recommend PIAA springs, they do normally promise a big drop but the ride is going to be V BAD. Out of stuff i know eibach tend to be (altho i have a set of coilovers) or KW. It depends on how tolerant you are and what counts to be a bad ride.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the H-Sports are pretty popular. I'm assuming they're a progressive rate spring, correct? The one inch drop sounds good to me, I don't necessarily want to just dump the car to the ground, just close the gaps up a bit. Also, I'm going to do away with the Goodyear all season runflats and get something more grippy, but since my replacement tires won't be runflats they'll probably make up for at least some of the ride quality I might lose because of the springs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After I posted I noticed the pics of My Pocket Rockets car, looks awesome. That 1.3 drop looks very nice, not too much at all, but noticable. Do you have any problems with ground clearance with that much drop? Also, any problems with wheel travel. I noticed you said they were softer than H-sports. I have read that these M7 springs were progressive rate, so I assume they give a good ride while goving you aggressive handling as well?

·
Registered
444 Posts
MINIGT50 said:
After I posted I noticed the pics of My Pocket Rockets car, looks awesome. That 1.3 drop looks very nice, not too much at all, but noticable. Do you have any problems with ground clearance with that much drop? Also, any problems with wheel travel. I noticed you said they were softer than H-sports. I have read that these M7 springs were progressive rate, so I assume they give a good ride while goving you aggressive handling as well?
The H-Sports ride about the same hight as the M7. Have a look at my link below and you can see some pics.
Only time clearance is a problem is when I pull into a driveway that has an elivation to it and then the only scraping is the front lower plastic lip, under the bumper.
The H-sports are a bit firmer then the M7 and will not bottom out as much. Not to knock the M7, but I do know a few that have replaced them with the H-sport and are happier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your car looks great, I definitely like the way it sits. I'm thinking of going that route with some Anthracite R-99 wheels on my BRG/W MCS

·
Registered
46 Posts
just a thought for you all.
i have 2 mini s
1 stock 17 inch run-flats.
1 tricked-out to the max enc. 18inch wheels h sport springs &
h sport rear bar.
h sport equiped mini rides much better &smoother &better handleing.
doug

·
Registered
107 Posts
M7 and H-Sport were on my top of the list of springs. They both give the same drop and one just softer. If you feel now with stock MCS that the car is a bit rough go with M7, but If you love the way factory feel go with H-Sport....performance?..same..in AutoX..but for real track race....go with coilover.

Simple as that... :D

onasled,

My dog loves to get in my car, so I think If I sell the car he might be in it... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.