MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have lowered my car with coil-overs to slightly above the tires. Now, I am thinking about changing the rims. Can anyone tell me what offset would be best or if offset 37 or 38 will fit???? I will be getting 17inch rims, since I want to keep using my stock tires.

Some of my choices includes: OZ Superleggera, Volks TE37, BBS RG-R or SSR Competition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Canned
13,241 Posts
All four wheels you've listed have been fitted to MINIs, although I don't know if they were lowered. I'd be concerned about rubbing on the rear arches on a lowered MINI running wheels with offsets lower than ET42. Running a stock size tire and having adjustable coilovers may help eliminate this concern.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I saw those rims on Mini, and I just love them. But just like to know if lowering will affect the offsets. So if it does rub, just raising the car a bit can eliminate that?

Thanks

· Registered
190 Posts
I have: Stock height, 42mm offset, and tires of 215/45-17

and my car rubs when fully loaded with 4 people and go over dips in the road

(is this normal?)

· Canned
13,241 Posts
You might want to PM petecrosby who is running the same wheels as you but with 215/45-17 Yokohama AVS ES100, which have been known to rub.

BTW, I updated your MINI Profile to reflect your wheel and tire combo, but you'll need to edit your profile to specifiy the "Wheel Color".

· Motorer extraordinaire
131 Posts
Yes, I did notice I got a little rubbing in the rear the other day when I hit a dip in the road. I had my wife and son in the car at the time. I have Yokohama AVS ES-100 tires in 215/45-17. I think just a little negative camber in the rear would eliminate the problem altogether. Because I am autocrossing the car some, I had already planned to replace the rear lower control arms and add some negative camber.

Anyone considering aftermarket 17" wheels and 215/45 tires should probably find wheels
with at least a 45mm offset.

· Registered
190 Posts
this is what tirerack says to me about the rubbing and if its going to do damage and how to prevent it.

"its will actually rub until it wears the bracket down, this depending on where you drive may damage your tires. If you look at the driver's rear fender - @ 2 o'clock position, there is a rectangle bracket the bottomed edge on the inside faces your tire, and should be dremeled of the 980 degree edge to a 45 degree bevel, and your rubbing will cease. I recommend this rather than letting the tire wear it out."

i might try it if it helps

· Registered
52 Posts
What did you find out regarding the bracket? I am curious since what Tire Rack described regarding the left rear tire rubbing at the 2:00 position is exactly what I am experiencing with my MCS that is lowered 30 mm.

I have 215/45 x 17 Sumitomo tires mounted on 17 x 7.5 Ronal RT rims with a 40 mm offset.

The left rear tire rubs (at the 2:00 position) on some dips and "jounces." There is no real noticeable tire wear because of that, but it does concern me. The effect may not be as pronounced since I do have Koni adjustable sport shocks that are set medium firm.

I want to get tires that will not rub. So, I was considering 2 options:
1) getting 215/40 x 17 tires for the Ronal rims. I am not sure that those will not rub as well - even with their reduced diameter (about 0.6 inches).

2) getting 205/40 x 17 tires for the Ronal rims. These should not rub due to their lower diameter (0.6 inch) and lower section width (0.8 inch), but there will be a bigger error in the speedometer reading with these.

I plan on putting the 215/45 x 17 tires on my "stock" S-Spoke rims (17 x 7 with 50 mm offset). They should be OK because those rims have a 10 mm lower offset.

Question for MINIAC - Any tips for me on this?

Thanks.

· Registered
52 Posts
MINIAC said:
Aside from going with shorter (diameter wise) and/or narrower tires, a little dremel work ...

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6618
Great link, MINIAC!

Well, after all of my angst, I decided to be practical. I'll put the 215/45 x 17 tires on the S-Spoke wheels and use them for track days. We rarely get snow in Columbia, but we do get rain - especially in the winter. So, what I really need is an all season tire for my daily use. I ordered 205/40 x 17 Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S tires. True, they are a bit smaller and narrower, but the car will be lower to the ground by a half inch or so than with the 215/45's.

If I ever want to get bigger tires for the daily commuter - well, I'll pull out the old trusty "dremel" and ....

Thanks.

· Blue is the colour!
13,855 Posts
I'm running 17" R90 replica alloys (ET40) with 205/45/17 tyres, I'm also running Eibach lowering springs. For regular around town driving there is no rubbing at all. Going for a bit of a spirited drive on some rough country roads, or tight, steep hill climbs etc, I will expect the rear tyres to rub on the guards. Depending on the road, it can happen quite a lot, or hardly at all. I'm keeping an eye on it, but at this stage am not overly concerned by it as the actual contact appears to be very slight, even though it sounds a bit worse inside the cabin.

:indi:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.