MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a S for a days test drive today, and I'm totally smitten :eek:

All thoughts of having a Cooper are out of the window, I loved the S and thats what I'll be going for now regardless of cold start up rattles;)

Quick question though, the S I took out was non Sports Suspension which is fine for me, but how whould LSD affect the torque steer?
The demo didn't have LSD, but I noticed the T Steer and got used to it fairly quickly and could * make* it do it :) if that makes sense.

But as I have never driven a car with LSD I just wondered how it worked and if I would notice a difference and if it puts any restrictions on the car like traction control does.

I have to order early Nov if I want it before Xmas :D... or should I wait and get a build for later in December for any changes??

All help appreciated :)

I'm nearly there with my spec ;)

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
Well I'm not a tech-head Tracie, but I think LSD comes into effect when you have a driving wheel off the ground or at least losing traction (compared to the other wheels). So I don't think it'll have any real effect on torque steer. I have LSD specced and get torque steer but who knows maybe it'd be worse without.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tracie,

I've driven my dad's MCS (equipped with LSD but without sports suspension) for thousands of kilometers. The LSD works as follows: under hard acceleration, the clutch of the LSD closes, forcing both front wheels to rotate at the same speed (as such realizing a transfer of power from the wheel that slips to the wheel with more grip).

My experiences with the LSD on the road are the following:
- When accelerating in a straight line, torque steer is largely eliminated (it is hardly noticeable imho), as the LSD causes both wheels to rotate at the same speed, forcing the car to keep a straight line instead of pulling to the left or right.
- When accelerating in a corner, you feel the LSD tries to pull the car straight. So when accelerating in a corner, you need to hold the steering wheel firmly in your hands. This is because in a corner, both wheels rotate at different speeds, and the LSD tries to have them rotating at the same speed. So in a corner, you need extra force to overpower the clutch of the LSD and prevent the car from pulling straight.

To summarize:
- Advantage: LSD gives you a great deal of grip, both in corners and in a straight line, and largely eliminates torque steer.
- Disadvantage: in a corner the LSD tries to pull the steering wheel straight with a stronger force than you'd expect at first glance. When suddenly accelerating in a corner, this can be surprising, and you need both hands at the steering wheel in that condition (i.e. when accelerating hard, as otherwise the LSD clutch remains open, causing the car to corner as expected).

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Ive had an R56 is with and without LSD. I could only tell when drving hard out of a bend. It can be a bit of a hand full is your not ready has it trys to find traction.

As for torque steer it was the same on both,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts