MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :D

The air bag warning light has been on my Mini One dash for a few weeks now and I was just wondering if it would fail its MOT because of this??? Is it classed as being unsafe? Should i get it re-set before its MOT?

Any advice would be appreciated! x x

·
Miss Independent
791 Posts
Yes it will fail the MOT, as that shows that the system has a fault and is not working correctly.
Wwwwwwrroonggg! It wont fail because of the airbag warning light.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Confimed it won't fail the MOT, mine passed with the light on recently but I have now fixed it...... see below.

On older MINI's most of the airbag warning light faults are due to a mommentary bad connection to the seat airbag wiring harness when a seat is moved/adjusted, therefore storing a fault code and triggering the warning light. The light remains on even if the fault has gone until reset by a dealer often costing approx. £50-80 outside warranty.
For around £50 you can buy a BMW B200 SRS airbag light reset tool, read the fault code yourself and put out the light. You also then have the tool for any future problems. The tool plugs into the OBD-11 diagnostic socket behind a small black plastic flap just above the foot pedals below the steering column.
Link to B200 Reset Tool:-
B200 BMW Airbag Tool
After reading the code and resetting with the tool, if the fault is still there (or happens again) the light will come on again. You can not overide or mask an actual permanent fault with this tool but it saves the cost of paying a BMW mechanic to do the same thing.
If the light is out the SRS system will function, it self checks everytime you switch on the ignition key and if all is ok puts out the warning light.
If the light keeps coming back on and indicates it is the RH or LH seat airbag wiring harness then it is necessary to solder up the faulty seat harness connections or replace/repair the wiring harness / connectors as required, (many have been done when under warranty) or repair whatever else you may get as a fault code such as seat belt pre-tensioner buckles, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! Think I better get it sorted.

The light was on when I bought the car from a dealer and they were going to fix it but as it was my first car and very excited I wanted to take the car away straight away - very stupid I know and now it is past its 3 month warranty and i am regretting it!

I live in Bedfordshire and work in Hertfordshire x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Airbag light turn off

The best way to deal with the airbag light is to log on to airbag light and have a qualified technician reset the entire srs air bags system. This should work.

·
Registered
954 Posts
My airbag light is on and mine passed the MOT... At a Mini Dealership too... It was just listed as a 'note'. Mine is on due to JCW Seats being fitted though... They did say that the airbag light being on will not be an MOT failure...

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
no it won't fail. mine has now passed at 2 test centres (one of which was a BMW dealers) with the light illuminated.

Basically the light tells them there is a fault with the air bag or SRS system, neither of which is a legal requirement on a vehicle, these are optional safety m,easures. All that is required is that your seatbelts and inersia reals are in good order and working. The failure of an airbag or SRS does not mean that these items will not work, every element of the airbag SRS and setbelt system work independantly of the others as a safety feature to ensure that 1 failure will not lead to total loss of safety features during an accident.

If the car fails then you should make this point as it is only working seat belts that are an MOT fail.

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
It does however make any injury compensation or loss of earnings claim to an insurance very dificult in the event of you being injured in a crash where the airbag/pretensioner failed to deploy because of a fault stored in the ecu's memory... and trust me, the insurance companies check when the airbags dont go off... any excuse to avoid a payout!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
However not always is it the SRS pretentioner or an airbag thats at fault. Mine is displaying because of a resistance fault on the battery disconnect charge. basically my airbags and SRS will work fine but there is a fault registered on the charge that fires the possitive off the battery in an accident.

R

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
However not always is it the SRS pretentioner or an airbag thats at fault. Mine is displaying because of a resistance fault on the battery disconnect charge. basically my airbags and SRS will work fine but there is a fault registered on the charge that fires the possitive off the battery in an accident.

R
Eh? thats a new one on me!

What is the exact fault code description you have read???

about 95% of all faults detected by the SRS ECU and shown as "present" will result in one or all of the SRS sytems not working.

If it is shown as a "not present" or stored code then it may still deploy all of the SRS sytems, but the effected squib/pretensioner may fail at the time it is most needed!

I cant think for the life of me what fault code your MINI is producing, if it is something to do with the "charges" that set off the squibs (the airbags or side curtain detonators) or the seat belt pretensioners, then I would be very wary of relying on them to work in the event of an accident.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Can't remember the code but it was defo something related to the battery charge, not the SRS or airbag system. There is still a power feed to all those systems therefore they should engage as no codes have shown for the SRS or airbag.

We believe it may be possible to just put a resistance on the battery charge line to make the system believe its fine then reset the codes and in theory the light will stay off. However i would not advice this to folks as a "correct" fix...its just something we may try to see if it works as there appears to be no other faults.

Also I have to find out how much a correct fix would be, odly mine has never had the issue with the underseat resistance fluctuation...yet is an old 02 car...and has the old type wires/plug!

I just wanted folks to know that the airbag light is the signal for all sorts of elements of the safety system and it appears, despite what some dealer say that the system seems to stay live for everything other than the faulty element. Therefore check what the specific code is before just thinking its the airbag or SRS as it can be something else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts