MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for my 5th trip to the dealer tomorrow for the air bag warning light this time.
I wonder if they'll actually manage to fix something this time or if it will be another case of "we need to order a part in..."
Also another creak has turned up over the last couple of days - somewhere around the passenger b or c pillar.
I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever be right...:mad:

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
Any news about the airbag light Steve? Mine has just done the same tonight - hopefully it's nothing serious...

By the way you aren't the Steve Archer I used to work with at Jaguar in Coventry are you?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Faith in the dealer restored!
Phoned them on Tuesday, they took it in on Wednesday and checked it out. They found that it was the seatbelt pre-tensioner on the drivers seat. Unfortunately they didn't have the part in so they drove to another dealer in Evesham to fetch one. They replaced this and the wiring (which their tests said wasn't faulty but they did it just in case). Light's been off ever since.

They also had a look at the oil pressure warning light (again) as this stays on after a cold start up until you rev the engine. The oil pressure is fine and one of the service dept guys said his Mum's does the same. They were having that in the next day to replace the oil pump to see if that would cure it but they haven't got back to me yet on whether it worked or not.

No I didn't work at Jaguar but my Dad (Ray) works at the Whitley plant!

Steve.

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
Mine's in the dealers at the moment, apparently the passenger airbag isn't working, so they are ordering me one in for fitting next wednesday.
They've also done my oil service, fixed my rear wiper (not touching top bit of glass) and tidied up a loose thread on my gear knob.
The good news is that Godfrey Hall are being nice and friendly and communicative - major improvement on last september!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My airbag light was permanently on and I harrassed the dealer over several months. I was told that BMW hadn't discovered the cause yet and that it would be fixed as soon as they knew what was causing the fault.

However, while the dealer was fiddling with other things the light seemed to fix itself, only to return about two weeks later, so be warned!

I have also noticed the same fault when I've been driving the dealers courtesy car

JS :confused:

·
Registered
486 Posts
The cause for the air bag warning light to come on is the wiring loom for the presure sensor under the passenger seat is to short so when u move the seat fully back or tip it forward to get in the back it tuggs on the wire switching on the warning light. According to a local garage which has a cooper BMW know of this and are working on an extension to the wiring loom :)

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
Yeah I've heard that, but my dealer is sure my passenger airbag doesn't work. I'll find out tommorow I guess...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Air bag light Wiring Solution

Fontal

Your absolutly correct on this! here at home (Manila) we get our cooper thru grey market local BMW dosent think its worth while bringing it in coz it cost like a 325 here!. Well I noticed when I got mine and several others the Airbag lught was on. My friend has his BMW gadget that connects to the ECU and found out it was the passanger side Firing unit of the Air Bag. It lights up again when I acceidentally bang the seat back for the rear passanger to get in. I think I can resolve it today by putting duct tape on the BLUE and YELLOW connectors. funny they click in TWO times so when you connect it you should hear or feel TWO CLICKS when you insert back the connectors. I will also remove the tie strap to make the wiring a little longer and put DUCT TAPE on the connectors so it wont move;) :D

Hope this works for you guys ... but you still have to bring it to the dealer to reset the fault

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah, had the light reset several times after the passenger seat had been put back, having let someone get in the back. It even happened once after an apple was rolling around which caught the connector! It also happened on holiday, so took it to the local dealer who said there was a fix on the system where the old loom is cut-out and a new piece soldered in with a different connector. It's in for it next week.

:(
:)

p.s. Rolandh, ask your friend if his 'gadget' can be bought online. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Me as well

The airbag light on my cooper which is 1 year old has just illuminated again, this is the fourth time the fault has developed. I have also suffered most of the usual faults. I now intend to leave the problem untill my service is due in about 2 weeks for my dealer to fix.
If i was to be injured in an accident due to this persistant fault causing the airbags to fail would BMW be liable?
I have already had both seatbelts and pretenshioners replaced.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gadget

Hehe 3 guys shared it coz they collect cars. They bought it for US$10,000!!!:eek: So being good friends with them save me $50 to reset it with my local BMW dealer.

Try to put duct tape on the connectors so it wont get loose.

Its ok so far....;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fixed mine.... i discarded factory connectors and used slider connectors then with the cable from bmcables.com and their software resetted the light... yipeee!

Total cost 30euro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts