MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i noticed about a week and a half ago a small line of an air bubble in my bonnet stripe...managed to get it out with a flat piece of plastic...

2 days ago, it came back..this much worse...and on both.
is it fixable or should i remove them completely..if so how would i do it..."safely", without harming the paint...

see pics..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
were these dealer fitted - if so go back and get them to apply some new ones as those creases wont come out even with heat and if they did they would leave a stress mark in the vinyl.

The position of them looks a little odd too ??

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jesus those are bad!

One of mine had slight ripples in it and the dealer has replaced it again for me, I'm not sure your gonna get those ones back to perfect!

Time for new stripes I think!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
were these dealer fitted - if so go back and get them to apply some new ones as those creases wont come out even with heat and if they did they would leave a stress mark in the vinyl.

The position of them looks a little odd too ??
They weren't delaer fitted, hence the reason they're a little "odd".....had a friend put them on..

....Time for new stripes I think!
hmmm...i was thinkin the same too :(

..so, is it easy to removed...i read somewhere you cos just pore hot water would be enough to help get them off...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
just use some gentle heat from a hairdryer and they will come off nice and easy ;)

It may be best to wet mount new ones - as if you dry mount you have to get it bang on first go and no room for error as you will get the result you have I'm afraid - unless you get a pro to do it for you or course :) ;)

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
a gentle hair dryer on them helps a lot ;)

Get your next stripes from Phil and follow his wet guide to fitting - you won't go wrong then ;) Better still pay him a visit to get an A+++ job :D

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
I take it your friend has never fitted stripes before? Take them off, get a new set and wet fit them. That way you can position them perfectly and get any air bubbles out before the adhesive dries :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take it your friend has never fitted stripes before? Take them off, get a new set and wet fit them. That way you can position them perfectly and get any air bubbles out before the adhesive dries :)
we'll he fitted stripes before.....but i dont think its a case of bad fitting...they were fitted over a year ago without any bubbles...its only now happening....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i found that they were very easy to remove..with a little bit of care and some hot water they came off quite quickly...without leaving any residue.....(well...except that bit you get from the outline of the stripes....)

anyway, below is a pic of what it looks like at the mo. i noticed the difference straight away..(and did my neighbours...and they didnt even see me remove them)...

in a way i think it has changed the entire appearance of the car ...from the front....at first i was like...cor' i need to get some stripes back on..it looks "weird"....now almost a week later, it has started to grow on me.....

any thoughts?...i was looking to get a new set...but now im not so sure....

here is a link to what it used to look like..

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
As your mirror caps and roof are both body coloured, it looks good without stripes.

I'd leave it as it is, but its your choice at the end of the day.

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
If you've got a body coloured roof then leave the stripes off, imho they added nothing to your car. BEP is one of those colours that doesn't need any adornments (just a good wash, clay and polish) to look good :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts