MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm back to pick your brains again. I was looking for a mini with air-conditioning, the type of air-conditioning that blows nice ice cool air at you! Simple I thought!
:puzzled: I'm starting to get confused with the whole air-con thing. I was under the impression that the chilli pack includes manual air-con, but have now been told otherwise.

Is there 4 seperate venting systems?
i.e is there
1) no air-con (normal heating cooling fan)
2) Manual air Con
3) Auto air Con
4) Climate control

I'm starting to think that Manual air-con is a fancy way of saying normal heating cooling, you just turn it to the blue area.

What's the difference? I just want ice cool air!

Please help! I'm getting all hot, and need cooling!LOL;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Manual is just when you hit a button and you put it on yourself

Climate control is a more sophisticated form of air-conditioning, which allows the temperature of a car’s interior to be accurately controlled. Ya can set the required temperature and the system automatically adjusts the speed and amount of cold air introduced into the car. This is different to air-conditioning, which has its speed and amount of cold air controlled by the driver.

automatic climate control system channels fresh air from outside the vehicle, cools it, reduces its humidity and, depending on the temperature setting, warmed again. Air temperature, air volume and air quality can be precisely controlled, whether the system is operating in manual or automatic mode. In automatic mode, the distribution of air flows and air volume is controlled automatically, and the temperature is held steadily at your selected temperature.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is a difference between manual air conditioning and no air conditioning. If you buy a car without it, you won't have the air conditioning system so the car will be unable to cool the air before it enters the passenger cabin.

With manual, you turn it on and turn a knob that dictates how hot or cold you want the air to be. If the temperature changes and you get too cold, then you have to adjust the knob once more. Manual air con does work, but it's rather crude and unsophisticated.

Automatic and climate control are the same, as I understand it. You can set the temperature you want and the air con computer will regulate the cabin temperature accordingly.

My 2008 price list shows manual air con in both the Pepper Pack (One, Cooper/D) and the Chili Pack (Cooper, Cooper S).

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
Manual air con isn't too bad on the MINI.

I've had it on both of my MINIs and never needed to have it up above setting number 3. Setting number 2 is normally enough. :)

My MCS recently had an issue where the aircon wasn't cold. I took it to the dealer who diagnosed a leak in the aircon system and fixed it under warranty. It's now like the arctic circle in there. ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
The standard air-con should give you a blast of cold air when you want it. But I've only experienced that type of system in my wife's ex-Jazz that shared the honour of forming a deposit for my Clubman with my ex-Jaguar that had full climate control.

They are chalk and cheese and I'd never go back to manual control.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

So I'm happy with Manual air-con, I can cope with pressing a button & twisting a dile ( I likes pretty buttons!)

Does anybody know if the chilli pack on the 2005 Coopers included Manual air-con?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I really can't remember what my 51 Cooper had in the way of heating but my last 2 'S' s have had the climate control, I find it so confusing!!
This one (R56) is slightly easier to fathom out (after 18 months), the previous one I had for 2 1/2 yrs and never got the hang of it.
If you are a technophobe go for the manual but aircon really is worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts