MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post so please be nice! Ive just bought a 2002 Mini Cooper S and it has manual air con. The problem is that the car smells like it has permanent Lavender air freshners in the system somewhere and i HATE lavender! Is this a car with a permanent air freshener or is it a problem with my heater system? I wish there was a way to get rid of the smell.

Would putting the air con cleaner in the system help this problem? Any advice will be much appreciated

·
Registered
237 Posts
hey, i have a funny smell coming from my air con to, i wouldnt say mine smells of lavinder tho, id be happier if it was but mines more of a tangy smell (charming i no) anyway, my friend said it might just be on its way out and needs to get re-gassed, welcome to MINI2 by the way :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2004 Cooper, and I have a stinky smell coming from the air conditioner too. Definitely *not* lavender, that would be an improvement! Mine has a sour mildewy smell...very unpleasant.

I'm replacing the cabin air filter, although I'm not sure that will help. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Comma Air Con Cleaner aerosol works for me, just follow the simple instructions on the can, takes 10 minutes to do and about £10 in Halfords or online. Also worth changing the cabin / pollen air filter as the smell is caused by a build of bacteria, viruses, air and traffic pollutants in the air con system and ducts.
Link to instructions:-
Comma News

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 2004 Cooper, and I have a stinky smell coming from the air conditioner too. Definitely *not* lavender, that would be an improvement! Mine has a sour mildewy smell...very unpleasant.

I'm replacing the cabin air filter, although I'm not sure that will help. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them!
yhh thats exactly what i have, soo annoying on a hot day.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
hey, i have a funny smell coming from my air con to, i wouldnt say mine smells of lavinder tho, id be happier if it was but mines more of a tangy smell (charming i no) anyway, my friend said it might just be on its way out and needs to get re-gassed, welcome to MINI2 by the way :smile:
Re-gassing will only affect the how cold the air con temperature will get...........it will have no effect on any smells, to improve that see my previous post above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you'll find that all cars that have aircon have a smell to the system, it's caused by condensation build up in the ductwork and the resulting bacteria build up in the damp pipes, not a great deal you can do about it from what i've read apart from the cleaning solutions that have been mentioned prevously.
more info on this here:

What's That Smell??

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Maybe if it's lavender specifically (I can't think of too many microorganisms that smell of lavender), and he's just acquired the car, then a previous owner could have been a lavender nut and sprayed bathroom air freshener into the air vents? :p

What do you reckon? :confused:

All the best,
Andrew.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts