MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual air-conditioning is standard on US MINIs. Being able to set a temperature and not have to deal with continually turning knobs to adjust the temp sounds like an attractive feature. Considering this, and with cool looking winged-logo controls, the automatic air-conditioning looks like a worthwhile option for $300. Aside from a little more weight, can anyone think of any reasons not to get it?

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
MINIAC said:
Manual air-conditioning is standard on US MINIs. Being able to set a temperature and not have to deal with continually turning knobs to adjust the temp sounds like an attractive feature. Considering this, and with cool looking winged-logo controls, the automatic air-conditioning looks like a worthwhile option for $300. Aside from a little more weight, can anyone think of any reasons not to get it?
I would think that in the sunny states AutoAirCon would be a boon - you can set and forget and is especially handy if you have to jump in/out of your car on local trips as the Auto a/c would crank up to max to chill the interior after it has been baked in sunshine. This is the only disadvantage of manual a/c and you have to guess the temperature setting depending on the outside ambient temp.

As for weight - it is likely to be minimal - just the weight of the winged control unit, sun sensor and a few wires; the system is 99% the same as manual a/c.

But as you say - a boy can never have enough buttons to press - go for it!:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
My wife's car has climate control (but without the controls arranged in old logo of the classic Mini :p) and I love it! Just set the temp you want and forget it. The system apparently has several temperature sensors and can tell when the car is under cloud cover or in direct sunlight and adjusts fan speed and cooling/heating accordingly.

The only adjustments needed are to occasionally manually switch it to "defrost" to clear the windshield or sometimes temporarily to "recirculate" when following a diesel.

This option is one of my top 3 things I want to make sure my new Cooper S has (DSC and MFSW are the other two).

The only negative I can see is the a/c unit is probably being used more often then if it was manually controlled.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Our source at MINI said most, if not all, of the pre-specced cars will have AutoAir because they received a lot of complaints that people were constantly adjusting their Manual Air, possibly due to black roofs, lots of windows, etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts

The only adjustments needed are to occasionally manually switch it to "defrost" to clear the windshield or sometimes temporarily to "recirculate" when following a diesel.
[/B]

Or after eating curry....:rolleyes:

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
BruceK said:

The only negative I can see is the a/c unit is probably being used more often then if it was manually controlled.
You can turn the air/con off but still control the temperature:D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Ottawa Guy said:

IMHO, the winged design for the automatic A/C unit is a bit too "Buck Rogers" for my taste. :( :(
Nah.... it looks cool! :p

The interesting thing is that it is based upon the logo design of the classic Mini rather then the new, sharper edged logo of the new MINI.

Here's the classic Mini logo/badge:

Attachments

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
marksminimotor said:

You can turn the air/con off but still control the temperature:D :D :D
I don't think you can turn the a/c off and still control the temp - unless it is colder outside then the interior temp you select, in which case the automatic unit will turn the a/c off and use the heater to warm up the car. :)

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I think that Air-con should only be Automatic, its much better. I'm not bothering with it at all,(i prefer the windows down and the music playin) but If wanted Air Con I'd only go for the Full Climate Control Jobbie.

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
BruceK said:

I don't think you can turn the a/c off and still control the temp - unless it is colder outside then the interior temp you select, in which case the automatic unit will turn the a/c off and use the heater to warm up the car. :)
This may be true as it's never been warmer outside my car than i've wanted it inside. But surely even if it's warmer outside you can turn the aircon off and then it will act just like a car without it(just blow cool air not conditioned air). After all it does have the button to turn it on and off.

Also well spotted on the shape of the controls being like the Classic mini badge.

Another good reason to go for auto aircon is the switches look so much better.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have got the Auto model and it is superb, just set it and forget about it, havnt had the A/C on much with the current weather but its still great to just set a temp and let it sort it out for you, it looks great to IMO, the winged design is very slick, and when you point it out to people in the car they go , 'oh yeah ... and have big grins!'

:D :D

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
Damo said:
I think that Air-con should only be Automatic, its much better. I'm not bothering with it at all,(i prefer the windows down and the music playin) but If wanted Air Con I'd only go for the Full Climate Control Jobbie.
...and your foglights on when there's no fog? ;)

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Kinster said:

...and your foglights on when there's no fog? ;)
Ermmmmmm No! :p I hate it when people put there fogs on but only there side lamps! I mean if your going to put your fogs on to look "Cool" then at least put your dipped beam on at the same time, your not kiddin anyone especially the police! "Sorry officer thought I'd put on my normal lights" Ain't going to cut it!

I usually put my fogs on when drving down country lanes tho as they don't blind people like full beam :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ottawa Guy said:

IMHO, the winged design for the automatic A/C unit is a bit too "Buck Rogers" for my taste. :( :(
Well, it turns out I'll have to eat my words about the automatic a/c unit I posted above. ;)

In order to get a June delivery of a Cooper S, I had to take the Premium Package (which includes the auto a/c) in order to get the MFSW and heated seats. I have to admit that when I saw the auto a/c during my test drive it looked ok.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've read a couple test drive reviews where drivers had problems keeping the windows unfogged with the auto air. Perhaps, as one driver commented, it was unfamiliarity with how the climate control worked.

Anyone across the pond that can comment if this is a problem with auto air?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:
I've read a couple test drive reviews where drivers had problems keeping the windows unfogged with the auto air. Perhaps, as one driver commented, it was unfamiliarity with how the climate control worked....
I'm sure the real reason the windows were fogging on the exciting first test drives was all the heavy breathing!! :D :D :D :D :D

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
BruceK said:

I'm sure the real reason the windows were fogging on the exciting first test drives was all the heavy breathing!! :D :D :D :D :D

Hadn't even thought of *that* explanation. I can tell you the "S" is exhilarating to drive and definitely got my blood pumping.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts