MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all

I recently sold my MINI One, and shortly afterwards took ownership of my new Cooper Cabrio. Being a skinflint, I kept the nearly-new K&N filter out of my One, intending to drop it into my Cabrio.

Well, they've changed the design! The new filter is a completely different shape and depth. So anyone thinking of doing what I tried to do - forget it! Also, any new owners thinking about ordering a new drop-in filter (eg K&N), be careful what you buy....

I'm afraid I have no idea if this is just for the new Cabrio, or whether it's actually a change across all of the new cars from July 2004 onwards......

Cheers

Ian

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
is that to improve performance or a spoiling tactic from mini to the aftermarket dealers?

·
MINI2 Irregular
179 Posts
Any pics of the new airbox??? I was hoping to carry over the ALTA intake from my 02 S to the new 05...

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Air Filter Design - Pictures

These are from my new Cabrio, but am presuming they are same across the latest models....

Hope they help. I believe they have also been forwarded to K&N, so hopefully they will be able to produce their filters for the new model real soon!

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
daniel.boizard said:
Yikes is that the same on the new Mini Cooper's, If so lucky I didn't buy one of the K&N ones.
thanks mate. :red:
It sure is!!

I had a little more trouble fitting my BMC Carbon Induction to my cooper because of this, and there is an increase in size of the engine/gearbox area too!! I would say it sticks out an additional 2-3 inch!

Most std induction kits look like they will fit though - only the replacement filters that will need to be re-designed at the 3rd party manufacturers end.

;) :black:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Whoo, hoo! They did not change the design of the airbox on the '05 MCS - so my K&N filter fits! I installed it yesterday. The hardest part was getting the clip back on!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is this redesign due to the new Getrag 5-speed box in the One and the Cooper? Seems silly (i.e. $$$) to redesign the air filter housing unless it was some other major design change. Any thoughts?

Peter :indi:

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
One thing I noticed when I put the Pipercross filter in was that it touched the casing, and IMO reduced the CSA of the filter, the opposite of what was intended. When you look at the old intake box I think they have reshaped it to possibly remove any turbulance without actually reducing the CSA.

edit: Ignore the rings, I pinched the picture out of the FAQ/DIY section

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
m1les
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing