MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check my MCS air filter today and was shocked to find alot of dirt in the bottom of the air box (i.e. under the filter) which is a bit worrying.

After cleaning this out I can now not fit the clip (weird jubilee type) on the front of the air box.

I have tried everything and cannot get the clip past the last couple of millimetres to make a connection.

Any suggestions?

Is the clip really needed?

I am tempted to get a similar sized jubilee screw clip and fit that instead

Any help would be appreciated, I've searched Mini2 and found some previous suggestions but they are not helping

·
Registered
429 Posts
The best way I found to get the clip on is to use plyers to clamp both sides of the clip. Insert a small flathead screw driver under the loose end to keep it from going down. Just close the grips of the plyers and it should slip right over.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just did the same job - the dirt at the bottom is not an issue to worry about - that's the "outside air" side - the "engine" side is on top.

Yes, you need the clip.

Reading the Bentley manual they tell you to use a new clip - but I didn't have one, so I used pliers and was able to get the old clip fastened again.

I used "channellock" or sometimes called "bicycle" pliers to get it done...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Maybe I've missed something, but I'm sure the clip that comes with the car (i.e. not an aftermarket clip) cannot actually be re-attached?

I had a similiar problem with mine but found that the clip was made so that once its off, it stays off. I just bought another clip from my Halfords and all is well agan :)

Hope this helps.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
The clips do go back on but they're a real b*stard to fit again :rolleyes:

It is possible to use a normal Jubilee clip, and I have them on mine. THe dealership have never said a word about it. Simple and effective.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick note to say thanks for your help; stupid clip now replaced by a proper jubilee screw clip to aid future air box removal and refit.

Also glad to know dirt under filter is not a worry; just ordered a K&N replacement panel filter as the stock one is very dirty after 8.5K miles.

Not sure why BMW fitted this type of clip in the first place ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts