MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just ordered a K&N air filter replacement to switch from the paper OEM. Just been reading up and wonder if anyone can recommend for or against? Upside seems that you obviously get better air intake, but downside is that it’s worse as a filter letting particles in. What’s the deal? Worth it or is it gonna give me a load of grief on my N14?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the K&N intake system with filter. From what I have read about what you have may or may not be the same. You realize they have a rectangle filter for that also.
Anyway my cone filter and steel system is OK. expensive but it is heavy enough not to rattle around and reusable. On the down side it is expensive and the metal tubing tends to get hot on summer days.
And it retains some of that heat after turning it off. I'm still using mine after 10 or so years.
If I could do it again I would get the carbon fiber NM setup(carbon fiber tube won't retain so much heat). Of course with K&N you do get the adapter box allowing you to convert to a ram intake if you want!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah nice! I dunno part of me wants to create a direct feed from the bonnet scoop or otherwise. I bet the sound is amazing from the cone filters. I was just looking at the rectangular ones yeah, as like you say there’s little difference in power. I would like that raw sound though

·
Registered
96 Posts
Truthfully I have found the best thing to do is the more expensive method. Like buy two intakes and swap the parts. Like the K&N box that houses the filter is perfect. But the NM carbon fiber tube is really good and does not retain heat. Of course heat can probably go through that like a invisible tube wall and effect the intake air.
I really want the last piece of that puzzle being the hard pipe from the hot side of the intercooler to the intake. But that is a fortune in itself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Truthfully I have found the best thing to do is the more expensive method. Like buy two intakes and swap the parts. Like the K&N box that houses the filter is perfect. But the NM carbon fiber tube is really good and does not retain heat. Of course heat can probably go through that like a invisible tube wall and effect the intake air.
I really want the last piece of that puzzle being the hard pipe from the hot side of the intercooler to the intake. But that is a fortune in itself.
Almost worth making it yourself

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is a Excellent point. If I only knew how to weld and have a homemade vacuum former for carbon fiber. Truthfully like that intake I have that is a JCW I would need everything including a tune to make any of it work really. Don't get me wrong stuff like intercooler and an air intake work wonders on the cooper S. But going into the exhaust side of things I would really need a tune because the computer will cut the extra power. Not even like a issue where you have your rated power sooner after you have all the exhaust stuff.
Intake stuff on a Mini N14 is optimal for cooling the air charge.
If you want more power and have 60,000 thousand miles or more. They say you can turn the wastegate screw 1 full 360 degree turn of a thread on the vacuum actuator. In order to make up the power loss over the years and miles. ONE THREAD.
Drawing the waste gate door closer to being closed. Don't turn too much though it could weld the door shut when it gets hot. But it will give you back about 2psi of boost.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a Excellent point. If I only knew how to weld and have a homemade vacuum former for carbon fiber. Truthfully like that intake I have that is a JCW I would need everything including a tune to make any of it work really. Don't get me wrong stuff like intercooler and an air intake work wonders on the cooper S. But going into the exhaust side of things I would really need a tune because the computer will cut the extra power. Not even like a issue where you have your rated power sooner after you have all the exhaust stuff.
Intake stuff on a Mini N14 is optimal for cooling the air charge.
If you want more power and have 60,000 thousand miles or more. They say you can turn the wastegate screw 1 full 360 degree turn of a thread on the vacuum actuator. In order to make up the power loss over the years and miles. ONE THREAD.
Drawing the waste gate door closer to being closed. Don't turn too much though it could weld the door shut when it gets hot. But it will give you back about 2psi of boost.
I’ve got a r56 that’s just coming up to 50,000 miles and I’m starting to think it’s best left untouched 😂 think I’m gonna keep it until 60-70k and then sell it, pick up one of the later models with the improved engine (still r56, don’t like the newer shape)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts