MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
so it is.....
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you've had this query a hundred times.....

I was talking to a fella over the weekend that said he had problems with an air filter he fitted to his car. He said once the air filter was fitted, the air flow meter was obviously sending increased signals to the main operating brain of the car. After a while the whole brain got completely messed up and cost him about £1800 to fix.

I recently fitted a green cotton, single cone filter to my Cooper and i'm starting to get a little worried in case something goes wrong.

Is there anyone can give me some advice on this subject, it would be much appreciated and help to set my mind at ease.

Thanks

Lavs

·
Registered
208 Posts
lavs00 said:
I'm sure you've had this query a hundred times.....

I was talking to a fella over the weekend that said he had problems with an air filter he fitted to his car. He said once the air filter was fitted, the air flow meter was obviously sending increased signals to the main operating brain of the car. After a while the whole brain got completely messed up and cost him about £1800 to fix.

I recently fitted a green cotton, single cone filter to my Cooper and i'm starting to get a little worried in case something goes wrong.

Is there anyone can give me some advice on this subject, it would be much appreciated and help to set my mind at ease.

Thanks

Lavs
I have had a K & N Filter fitted for over a year and not had any problems at all - and I have covered about 25,000 miles in that time!!

When I fitted it, I read horror stories on here similar to the one you describe but going on personal experience I haven't got a single complaint.

As with anything, I am sure there will be the odd time when something can go wrong with them but put that to the back of your mind, go out and enjoy your car!! :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've had a K&N in my MINI for a few months and also have had one in my other car for a few years - both with no problems. The whole idea of an airfilter/induction system is to get more air into the engine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
lavs00 said:
I like your attitude! :D

Have you tried any of the chip sets available for the Coopers? just out of curiosity!
No, to be honest I think that they are a good idea if you have a One as you can extract the extra power of the Cooper reasonably easily and cheaply, but you don't seem to gain much on the Cooper chip upgrades - unless you start to spend serious money!!

The filter is the only "mechanical" mod I have done to my car, no exhaust upgrade or anything - and witha new Cooper arriving in a few weeks, I won't be doing any more mods in the near future!

·
Registered
208 Posts
lavs00 said:
I got my Cooper back in January.... When ordering, i got them to put the jcw sports exhaust on. It's a really nice touch. Would you consider it for the new Cooper?
Yeah possibly at some point, but I have spent enough on the new one so far so will have to wait a while before getting anything else for it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
craigsyboo
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing