MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my MCS a few days. :D Yesterday afternoon the tyre pressure warning light came on.:puzzled: I didn't manage to check the tyre pressures until 9pm last night and they were ok, one was 1-2psi lower than the others. I topped them all up a little so the pressures matched.

The warning gong and light are still on? How do I reset the sensor?

How sensitive is the sensor and how much of a drop does it require before it is brought to your attention?

If one of my tyres does have a slow puncture, should MINI repair it free of charge considering I have only driven it twic since collecting it last Saturday?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Hold the button just below the handbrake whilst on the ignition I think. Should solve it :D

i think it will go off if one wheel is seriously lower psi than another.

Will also go off if the wheels/tyres have just been changed.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
For 1st Gen pre-facelift ...

Reset the TPMS:
  1. Ignition key in position 2
  2. Press the button long enough for the yellow indicator lamp in the instrument cluster to light up for a few seconds
  3. Start the engine.
After a few minutes driving time, the Flat Tire Monitor sets the current inflation pressure in the tires as the target values to be monitored.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've only had my MCS a few days. :D Yesterday afternoon the tyre pressure warning light came on.:puzzled: I didn't manage to check the tyre pressures until 9pm last night and they were ok, one was 1-2psi lower than the others. I topped them all up a little so the pressures matched.

The warning gong and light are still on? How do I reset the sensor?

How sensitive is the sensor and how much of a drop does it require before it is brought to your attention?

If one of my tyres does have a slow puncture, should MINI repair it free of charge considering I have only driven it twic since collecting it last Saturday?
I would check you do not have anything in the tyre that dropped 2 psi.

Mine came on and 1 was 2psi lower, on further inspection there was a screw in the tyre! The tyre had sealed around it so it wasn't loosing any pressure, but still had to get it sorted!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My light came on once whilst driving on the motorway - I remembered reading in the manual that you have to reduce your speed to 50 mph - drove to Shoreham and back (a good 100 miles at least) at 50mph. When I got back I took it to a garage, and they confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my tyres. The guy said that the sensors are very sensitive and may have been triggered by going over a bump or something. Annoying!

Thanks for the tip you mention above :)

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
I have noticed that unless you do the reset EVERYTIME you check your tyre pressure it will go off

I over a year & half of driving my mini mine has only gone off twice but its been a false alarm - My often drop 1-2psi & my brother is a mechanic & says this is no problem as none of the gauges are accurate & its affects when you do it cold or very slighly warm - if its drop any more than i would be concerned. I think it was kwick fit that said unless its constently looses more than 5psi then wouldn't chnage my mums tyre (may be wrong as it was some time ago!!)

You dont do it with the enguine off - you do with enguine on - in a standing still postion BEFORE driving off - also make sure it goes off before you drive off

If that reset doesn't work then you need to check the tyres more closely or get the sensor checked

Hope that helps

·
Registered
543 Posts
The reset on my '08 UK-spec Clubman is via the OBC button on the end of the indicator stalk - but I think US-spec cars are different because their rules don't allow the passive monitoring that we have so they use individual pressure sensors.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Check your manuel as I have a R53 so it may be different. Mine has only gone on once at 25psi and was dead easy to reset.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts