MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I’d share what the £30 “airbag deactivation” option consists of on 2005 models. For your money, you get a switch on the side of the passenger-side dashboard trim, which is only accessible/visible when the passenger door is open. The switch is operated by the ignition key, and simply switches the front passenger airbag either on or off.

Also, in the roof console just above the rear view mirror is an indicator that is normally off, but lights up orange when the airbag is deactivated. I’m not sure where this will move to when the clock moves back to the overhead console next year though.

All in all, pretty good for £30 I thought, especially when you previously had to pay several hundred pounds to get the thing deactivated, and then it was permanent.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with you totally.

One thing I did notice about mine though, the barrel of the 'switch' came out on the end of the key when I de/activated the airbag. It will be replaced when I take my Cooper S for it's first service.

Just something to watch for.

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
Ta for theinfo NightFox.....I've specified this on my new MCS, so that we can transport our 9 week old daughter or our 5 yr old son in the front without the risk of the airbag going off.

Strangely, my wife's Vauxhall Meriva has the similar feature, but it was free, and is automatic, in that there is a load sensor in the front passenger seat, that detects whether an adlut or child is in the seat.

Depending on which it is, determines whether the airbag is deployed or not.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think that this is the best £30 you can spend on your mini (should be free!)
My 9 month old daughter can now ride shot-gun in the front with me when I have the wind-deflector up in the rear. Have enclosed a picture (not the best quality!) of what it looks like when it is installed in the convertible.

Attachments

·
3 new text messages from.
96,277 Posts
Cool.

Just specced this on my new S, and i was wondering where the warning light would be..:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
wobert123 said:
Strangely, my wife's Vauxhall Meriva has the similar feature, but it was free, and is automatic, in that there is a load sensor in the front passenger seat, that detects whether an adlut or child is in the seat.

Depending on which it is, determines whether the airbag is deployed or not.
This is also the case for all USA-bound MINIs built after 01/01/2005 (I'm not sure about all of the other countries). The new MINIs now have advanced airbags that automatically switch themselves off if there is not enough weight on the passenger seat. I believe that the weight of the front seat occupant also determines the force at which the airbags deploy as well. You can read more about it here:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/01/29/advanced_airbags

·
Registered
19 Posts
TheOfficeMaven said:
This is also the case for all USA-bound MINIs built after 01/01/2005 (I'm not sure about all of the other countries). The new MINIs now have advanced airbags that automatically switch themselves off if there is not enough weight on the passenger seat. I believe that the weight of the front seat occupant also determines the force at which the airbags deploy as well. You can read more about it here:
I don't understand? I thought the dangers was having an airbag deploy into someone who is too short and snapping back their head? What has that got to do with wieght?

What happens if you have a little "tub of lard" child? (Not that I am suggesting that the Americans have a child wieght problem!)

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
MiniBrum said:
I don't understand? I thought the dangers was having an airbag deploy into someone who is too short and snapping back their head? What has that got to do with wieght?

What happens if you have a little "tub of lard" child? (Not that I am suggesting that the Americans have a child wieght problem!)
In some cars there is a weight sensor in the passenger seat that "detects" whether the seat is occupied or not. There is usually a "minimum" weight threshold, under which the airbag will not deploy. So, if you place your "lightweight" baby in a car seat, onto that seat, there is no danger that the airbag will deploy in an accident.

This has nowt to do with the weight of the child! :p :D :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can anyone explain what the "Smart Airbags" pre-January '05 do versus the new ones? My factory sticker on an '05 MCS 11/04 build says I have "Dual Stage Dual Threshold Smart Airbags", and a reference in "MINI" by Patrick C Paternie published in 2002 says: "Front airbags are of a "smart" design that can detect the strength of an impact as well as the presence of a passenger." TheOfficeMaven's post suggests that is new after 1/05. Or, is the January change just the light that indicates that weight is or is not detected? My wife's '05 Highlander has a similar light--glows when occupied, off when not. Curious if anyone has the answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts