MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I’d share what the £30 “airbag deactivation” option consists of on 2005 models. For your money, you get a switch on the side of the passenger-side dashboard trim, which is only accessible/visible when the passenger door is open. The switch is operated by the ignition key, and simply switches the front passenger airbag either on or off.

Also, in the roof console just above the rear view mirror is an indicator that is normally off, but lights up orange when the airbag is deactivated. I’m not sure where this will move to when the clock moves back to the overhead console next year though.

All in all, pretty good for £30 I thought, especially when you previously had to pay several hundred pounds to get the thing deactivated, and then it was permanent.

Attachments

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
good value, something that I think everyone should spec, as it is something that might just help with the resale of MINI when it comes time to change:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's annoying. When I specced my 05 MCS in May I was told the £30 de-activation would take the form of the dealer deactivating the airbag manually once they'd received the car, followed by another £30 to switch it back on and another £30....you get the idea...

I didn't think it was worth it naturally.

£30 for a proper switch is good value but I can't understand why it's not standard fit in the UK (although I understand the threat of legal action is why they don't fit them in the States :( )

·
MINI2 New-ish
29 Posts
The air bag switch is a top-notch feature but it isn't even an option in the USA for some reason. I have two youger daughters and wanted to get the air-bag switch for my new MCC but alas I'm out of luck here in the states.

JR

·
Painting the town purple
576 Posts
It's not available as an option over here either. I think that it's because in this country, you are not allowed to sit a small child in the front seats of any car. Therefore your need to deactivate the passenger side airbag is moot.

·
I could stop if I wanted
1,355 Posts
Here in Canada (and in the USA also I believe), there is a pressure membrane switch in the seats that causes the airbag to deactivate itself if someone of a certain weight range (say 10-70 pounds, I don't know the numbers) sits in the seat. I've noticed when I've put my (sometimes a bit heavy) work bag on it that the little light comes on. ;)

This is also the reason why Canada/USA can not get the JCW seats in our MINIs. :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts