MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be interested in a gizmo that plugs into the CAN bus and watches the vehicle speed, throttle setting and engine RPM, and disables the airconditioner compressor clutch when you stomp on the gas?

That way, people in warmer climates then me
could leave their AC enabled for comfort, but get better "off-the-line" performance by temporarilly cutting out the AC compressor load.

If there is some interest, I'll finish the project and put a kit up for sale somewhere.

If I finish it, I'll put the schematics up for free for those who can build and program microcontrollers themselves, and probably sell a "solder it yourself" parts kit with a programmed microcontroller.

Since it makes a vampire connection to the CAN bus which also controls the ACS/DSC, I'm not going to make a complete plug-in and go product because, sure as $hit, someone will plow into a tree and blame this device for messing up the DSC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
StevePSB said:
Nice idea, but there's always the 'OFF' button. ;)

True, but when I'm coming to a stop and the light turns green, I don't want to have to reach and turn off the a/c before I downshift and fly through the gears.

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
StevePSB said:
Nice idea, but there's always the 'OFF' button. ;)
That's not the "OFF" button, that's the "TURBO" button.
We used to have an old Chevy Chevette (I think Vauxhall sold it in the UK for a while, too) with a 1.6 that was horrible with the AC on. Turning it off probably improved 0-60 times by like 20%.

-Eric

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

Out of interest, the E46M3 has this facility. The air-con switches off on wide open throttle (WOT). This is only on WOT, and not on partial application. This is one of the cool functions of having throttle by wire. I'm not sure if there is a slight delay.

One day I did a track day in my M3 when the temp was around 39C (approx 103F). It was just a practice day, and not timed, so I just left the air-con on. The car stayed cool, and it didn't seem to effect acceleration.

Cheers

Robbo

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I would assume this was a feature of the MINI but I guess not. My 2000 ford focus turned off the compressor at WOT. Of course anything less and it was a horrible bog.

I usually just plain old don't use the AC. I like driving with the windows open as much as possible.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Make me one. My car is a dog coming out of the hole with the air on. It also seems the compressor is running even in cold weather with heat applied. Is this true? If the green light is on is the compressor on? (Auto air control.) I never hear it switch in or out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
interested

you can make me one please

ron

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TURB CAB said:
When does the air turn back on? RPM or complete shutdown?
I was figuring on re enabling the AC compressor about 30 seconds after the initial disable. That way, you get a short interruption in cooling while you zoom away, and it comes back on before you start to get uncomfortable.

Any suggestions on how long is too long from the hot climates?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts